Journaling is the best way to get kids to write about their thoughts. We created these 3rd-grade writing prompts to help children express their feelings.
Writing is a great activity for children to think about their emotions
The 3rd-grade writing prompts are meant to help children learn more about themselves.
The questions will tap into their imagination and get them thinking about things they like and dislike.
The 3rd-grade writing prompts also encourages gratitude by getting children to reflect on the relationships they have with their family and friends.
These 3rd-grade writing prompts are also a great way to encourage children to learn to write and spell.
We made these writing prompts to be fun, to keep children engaged in the activity.
Check out the Awesome Adventure Journal
- Who was kind to you today? Describe what happened
- What do you like most about your day?
- What is your favorite family holiday?
- If you can meet Santa today, what would you ask him?
- List 3 things you like most about your family
- What made you laugh today?
- Describe something funny that happened recently
- If you can be someone famous who would you like to be? Why?
- Name a person you admire most in your family? Why you admire him/her?
- What new skill would you like to learn this month?
- If you can be an expert at a particular musical instrument, what would it be?
- If you can be a character at your favorite TV show, which character would you like to be? Why do you like that character? Is there anything unique about that character?
- If you can donate some of your things for a charity, what would you donate?
- Name something that you are most proud of?
- What is your biggest achievement so far?
- Is there a subject in school you are not good at? Great! Now what can you do to be better at it?
- What is your biggest fear?
- Name your favorite song. Why is this your favorite song?
- If you can be a teacher for one day, which subject would you like to teach? why?
- Do you prefer the rain or the sun? Why?
- What is your biggest talent?
- Why do you think you are a good friend?
- What is your ambition for when you grow up?
- Who has the best job in the world?
- Who has the hardest job in the world?
- If you can be the leader of your country, how would you do things differently?
- What do you like most about your neighborhood?
- What would be your dream holiday?
- If you could fly, where would you go?
- Which is your favorite month of the year? Why?
- What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What do you like most about your school?
- Write about the best family holiday you have ever had.
- If you can be a superhero, what superpower would you like to have? Why? How can you use the superpower to make the world a better place?
- What is your favorite book? Why?
- Write a thank you letter to your teacher. Why would you thank him/her?
- Is there anyone you would like to say sorry to today? Why?
- If there is someone you could hug and meet before the start of the pandemic who would that person be?
- Your biggest regret so far?
- Write about a moment you felt extremely proud of yourself
- What do you like most about your best friend?
- If you had 1 million dollars, what would you do with it?
- If you can work at the zoo, which animal would you like to work with? Why?
- Imagine there is a new student in the class, what can you do to help him/her feel comfortable?
- If you can go to space, which planet would you visit?
- If you can rewrite the story of sleeping beauty, what would the story be?
- Do you prefer studying online or going to school? why?
- Explain what you need to do every morning before going to school.
- If you can spend the weekend building something, what would you build?
- Would you rather be a famous baker or singer?
- Write about a moment you felt embarrassed
- Write about a moment you overcame your fears.
- What would your dream house look like?
- If animals can speak, what would they say?
- Write down 3 things that made you smile today
- What do you do if a friend made you sad or angry?
- Have you had a nightmare recently, what was it about?
- Which is your worst holiday ever?
- Write about a family tradition you like the most.
- What do you think is the biggest problem the world is facing? What can you do to help solve that problem?
- What is your favorite movie? Why do you like that movie?
- What would be your dream job?
- What is your favorite sport? Why? Who are the famous people in that sport?
- The one thing I admire most about my parents
- What do you think love means?
- The kindest thing you have ever done for someone else?
- Write about a movie you recently watched.
- Write about a book you recently read? Can you write a letter to the author, to thank him/her for the amazing book?
- Write down the places you have ever visited
- What is the biggest lesson you learned this year?
- If you can switch places with someone for a day, who would you switch places with?
- If there is something you can wish for right now, what would it be?
- What is the best dream you have ever had?
- What worries you the most?
Check out these creative writing prompts for kids
- I was swimming one day and I turned to a mermaid……
- For dinner, today I………
- I was out in the garden and I discovered……..
- I was playing video games and then I find myself a character in the game……..
- I was walking and the next thing I know, I was flying………
- My dog started talking to me…..
- I am stuck in school and all the doors are locked…….
- My parents forgot about me in the mall……
- My father is an inventor and just created a robot that would save the world. But I accidentally dropped it………
- I was walking through the woodlands, I saw an injured deer that started talking to me………….
Finally, before you go don’t forget to check this out
Check out the Happy Printable Journal, packed with amazing worksheets, including ways to manage anxiety and helping children develop positive habits.