Minecraft is one of the most popular games in the world, drawing tens of millions of players of all ages and demographics. For how fun it is, it can sometimes be tough to figure out some parts of the game. Players find themselves scratching their heads at some game mechanics. For instance, how far does water flow in Minecraft?
Keep reading to know the answer to that question and all other things water in Minecraft. Get to know the specifics you need to make the game more fun and rewarding. Below, we divulge all of the beloved game’s watery secrets.
How far does water flow in Minecraft?
Water is one of the essential resources in the Minecraft overworld. When players hit a water source block, they often wonder how far it flows. Well, the answer is simple. You need decent water to brew potions, farm crops, and get obsidian.
Flooding water can spread seven blocks horizontally from the water source block if left unrestricted. However, it can flow downwards infinitely.
If the water source is large enough, players can swim inside it. Players can even submerge themselves in water if their oxygen levels don’t deplete. Fish, squid, and dolphins can also be found in large water bodies. And the player can fish for them, provided they are appropriately equipped.
Sometimes, though, large water bodies can also contain “Drowned”. These hostile zombie units can attack the player and kill them if they are not careful.
Water is also a crucial aspect of farming in Minecraft. You need water flow if you want to grow wheat, melons, sugar cane, and pumpkins.
Remember, water does not exist as an item in Minecraft. If you want to harvest water, you must employ a water bucket—either that, or by using a full water cauldron.
How far does water flow in Minecraft in farming?
As mentioned above, water is very important in farming in Minecraft. If farmland is placed where water is absent, it will degrade into dirt over time, becoming unfit for growing crops. If it is placed near the flow of water though, it will become “hydrated farmland”, growing crops faster without degrading into dirt. Farmland cannot be obtained in the inventory during survival mode, though.
So, what is the best way to use water when farming on Minecraft? To hydrate a block of farmland, water must be four blocks away horizontally and diagonally. The water blocks also need to be on the same level as the farmland or at least one level above the farmland.
Solid blocks between the farmland and the water don’t make much of a difference. The water also needs not to be still or flowing. Also, know that you can do nothing to increase the flow rate. If you have a single bucket of water and make eight blocks of farmland around it, then that single block of water will hydrate all eight of them.
Related: How to reload chunks in Minecraft?
How far does water flow in Minecraft in bedrock?
Like in real life, water is naturally generated in Minecraft Overworld. It forms rivers, oceans, and springs. It can also generate in certain in-game structures such as ocean monuments, ancient cities, villages, strongholds, woodland mansions, and desert wells.
Water in Minecraft flows downwards and downhill but never upwards. It can flow infinitely downwards if left unhindered. It also flows seven blocks horizontally. However, certain types of bedrock blocks can interact with water to form new substances.
When flowing water hits still lava, the lava block is suddenly turned into obsidian. This is the way players can generate the obsidian resource.
However, this interaction changes if the water and the lava are flowing. If flowing water hits flowing lava, cobblestone is created instead of obsidian.
If the scenario is reversed and flowing lava hits still lava, then stone blocks are created instead. So, be mindful of lava sources when playing.
These three scenarios, which give rise to obsidian, cobblestone, and stone, can be used by players to make blocks. These can then be used to make structures and other in-game environments.
If you are in a place that seems to have infinite water or high water content, there is a way of getting rid of this Minecraft water by using nether portals.
How many blocks does water flow in Minecraft?
Based on Minecraft physics, it is in water’s nature to flow and spread. It will do this unless it is harvested or restricted in some way by the player. And Minecraft water has a very decent flow distance.
In terms of horizontal movement, water moves seven blocks horizontally away from its source. If you encounter a new water source, it may be one of these. This source can be a river, ocean, or spring. But it can also be an ocean monument, ancient city, village, stronghold, woodland mansion, or even a desert well.
However, water can flow infinitely downwards when it comes to downward movement. Even past bedrock. Remember that certain underwater blocks can interact with water to form new blocks. One such substance is lava.
Minecraft water elevator
Since water only flows downwards or downhill in Minecraft, this presents unique challenges. For one, how does a player get water from an underground source to an above level? Well, one of the solutions is to use an in-game structure known as a water elevator.
As the name suggests, a water elevator helps you take water from a lower level to a higher one. Water elevators are so crucial in Minecraft because they can transport other entities in the game, such as players, mobs, and even blocks of other substances. Isn’t that cool?
So, how exactly do you make a water elevator in Minecraft? Well, you first need to understand that you will need to create two of them. One that flows downwards and one that flows upwards.
The substances you need to make a water elevator in the Minecraft world are as follows:
- Two buckets of water
- A Magma block
- A Soul Sand block
- Four wooden doors
- A stack of kelp, and,
- Solid blocks for building (preferably Glass or Stained Glass)
Once you have gathered these substances, follow the below steps:
- First, create three towers of glass around a single block on a flat surface. Leave the fourth side empty. These towers should be as tall as you need your water elevator to be. Additionally, you can use any other solid block other than glass if you want. Glass panes are typically used for aesthetic reasons.
- Next, at the base of where the fourth tower would be, create a small square structure with a door. This door is important, as it will keep the water out.
- Now, complete the fourth tower above that square structure. This completes the structural part of the elevator, leaving only the water.
- From here, go to the top of the elevator and use your bucket of water to place a block of water inside the structure. The water will automatically flow toward the bottom of the elevator.
- Once this is done, go to the bottom of the elevator and start stacking pieces of kelp upwards. This will turn the flowing water into source blocks.
- Afterwards, break the bottom kelp block to destroy the kelp structure and leave only the water blocks. Now, your water elevator is essentially done.
- If you want to create upwards water in the elevator, the easiest way is to place your soul sand block at the bottom. This will push bubbles, and any other entities, upwards.
- If you want to create downward movement, then place your magma cube on the last block. This is an effective way of making entities flow downward. Normal blocks won’t do the trick.
- You can use water elevators to transport any substance, from iron ingots to ice blocks. This isn’t only limited to useful resources. Hostile mobs can also be trapped in them.
- Remember, Minecraft has fall damage. So be careful when using the elevator.
Minecraft water control flow
If you want to control the flow of water, then you need to use a water gate or flood gate. This creates a confined space that keeps the water from going too far. They can control the flow of water by shrinking the stream or damming it. To make a water gate, you need Redstone and pistons. This can also make water flow in a straight line.
Minecraft water block command
You can obtain a water block that will not flow at all using the “/give” command in Minecraft. The ID for this water block is 9.
To use this command, open the command console, type “/give [playername] 9” and press enter to execute.