Did you know that you can cast your videos and music playlist on your Roku device by using your smartphone? All you need to know is how to stream from your phone to Roku.
You can enjoy your videos by mirroring your phone screen to your big screen Tv and even connecting your audio to your sound system. Sounds exciting?
Let us dig into how to stream from phone to Roku using an iPhone and Android device
How to stream from phone to Roku using an Android device?
To stream Roku from the phone, you can use the screen mirroring feature on the android app. Different smartphone manufacturers use various names for screen mirroring on their mobile devices. Some terms used for screen mirroring in android phones include:
- Display mirroring
- Smart View
- Quick Connect
- HTC Connect
- Wireless display
- Allshare cast
You can use the following methods to mirror your android device to Roku:
1. Using native screen mirroring to mirror Android to Roku
Follow the steps below to use the screencast feature to mirror Android to Roku but make sure you have enabled screen mirroring in your Roku Tv’s settings:
- Open settings then select connected devices. Click on connection preferences and choose Cast.
- Look for screen cast, then click on cast, click on ‘other similar options’.
- Your android device should now start searching for devices. Next, choose your Roku Tv or Roku player list of devices to connect.
Related : How to watch Twitch on Roku?
2. Using the Roku app to mirror android to Roku
With the Roku app, you can only cast videos, photos, and media files on your Android to the Roku Tv.
Another easy way to cast Android to Roku is using the Roku official remote control app. This app allows streaming TV shows and movies on the Roku channel and can be used instead of the physical remote control.
With the mobile app, you also get the private listening feature which enables you to listen to audio from a Roku player or Tv.
You can enjoy audio on these streaming devices; Roku streaming stick (3600,3800, 3810), Roku streaming stick, Roku express, Roku express +, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere +, and Roku TVs.
Follow these simple steps to cast Android to Roku using the Roku app:
- The first thing is to search for the app from the play store and install it.
- Connect the app to your Roku tv by following the on-screen instructions.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap ‘Devices’
- Choose the type of media you want to cast.
- Now choose the file you would like to cast on your Roku Tv.
The third method to cast or mirror your Android to Roku is through third-party apps, many on the Google play store. Let us look at some apps you can use:
3. Using third-party apps to mirror Android to Roku
Video & TV cast app to Cast Android to Roku
You can browse the internet to stream and then cast your videos on your Roku TV by using this app. First, install the video & Tv cast / Roku Remote & Movie Stream app from the Google play store.
The app is supported on these Roku devices: Roku streaming stick, Roku Premiere, Roku TV, Roku Express, Roku Ultra, Roku HD (2500), Roku 2, Roku 3, Roku 4, and Roku LT (2400 & 2450) players.
All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- Search for the app in the Google play store then install.
- Launch the app. You will see a red icon, wait for it to turn white. This shows that your Roku Tv has successfully connected to the App. If it does not connect, just restart the app.
- Tap the pencil icon on the menu bar to add the URL of the video you intend to watch.
- Wait for the video’s link to be shown on the browser. If it does not detect the link, play the video in full-screen mode.
- Now tap on ‘Tap to cast’ for the app to cast your android phone’s content on your Roku Tv.
Using the Screen Mirroring for Roku app to mirror your android to Roku
This third-party app is also found in the Google play store. It, however, does not support sound, and therefore you might have to use external Bluetooth speakers for sound.
The app is supported on these devices: Android 5.0+, all Roku devices like the Roku Tvs, Roku sticks, Roku boxes, and Roku Express 3700/3710.
Use the following steps to mirror your Android on Roku using this app:
- Search for the app on the play store and install.
- Launch the app. Use the same wireless network connected to your Roku Tv to connect your android.
- You will now see some on-screen instructions. Follow them to connect the device to the app.
- Tap on the media file you want to mirror to your Roku Tv and enjoy watching on your big screen.
How to stream from phone to Roku using an iPhone?
You can cast your family vacation photos, music, and videos from your iPhone to your Tv with a Roku device.
You can also stream your favorite YouTube videos, play music with your surround system, and even use your iPhone like a remote to control your tv.
Below is a step-by-step guide of an effective way to stream from phone to Roku using your iPhone:
on your iPhone, go to settings > system > screen mirroring, then select ‘Always allow.’
Your iPhone and Roku device should both be on the same Wi-Fi network.
On your Roku device, go to Settings. (Press the home button on your official Roku remote) Press the left direction button, then scroll to the bottom of the list on the left sidebar.
Choose System by pressing the OK button on the remote.
Now choose screen mirroring.
Click on screen mirroring mode and select ‘prompt’ or ‘always allow.’
Tap the cast icon on the app and choose your Roku device from the list that pops up. You can now stream from your iPhone and enjoy watching on your big screen.
How to stream from iPhone to Roku using the Roku app?
- Go to the apple app store, download and install the Roku app
2. Launch the Roku app and tap ‘devices.’ This is at the bottom of your phone screen.
3. Select your Roku device.
4. Tap ‘media’ and choose the videos, music, or photos you want to cast.
How to stream from phone to Roku tv without Wi-Fi?
Did you know you can connect your android device to your Roku tv even without a Wi-Fi network? Yes, if you don’t have an established wireless connection, you can use this tip to cast your online and offline video files.
Various smartphones use different names for casting, like Smart share, Screencast, or simply Cast, but Samsung devices have an in-built smart view option to cast the screen.
To connect an android device to Roku without Wi-Fi, select the prompts in the following order:
Go to Settings on your Roku tv, then choose system, select Screen mirroring, then screen mirroring mode, then ‘Never allow.’ Now go to screen mirroring devices.
On your Android phone, slide down the notification shade and tap on the smart view. Choose the cast option depending on your phone model and select your Roku tv Roku player to cast the screen.
You should now see a prompt on your Roku tv saying that you are not connected to the internet. Select ‘proceed anyway.’
Wait for the screen to confirm the connection. You can stream and enjoy your favorite content on the big screen.
How to cast a streaming app to Roku?
Casting your device to Roku is a great way to watch YouTube videos or videos from other streaming apps like Netflix and prime videos.
Open the streaming app you want to cast and tap on the casting icon. Select your Roku player from the list of detected devices for the video to play on the big screen.
It is worth noting that you ensure that both your devices are connected to the same wireless network, and the streaming app is installed both on your phone and your Roku.
How to stop screencast on Roku?
Sharing devices on the same network as your Roku device can cause someone to cast on your Roku intentionally or unintentionally if you leave it as ‘always allow’ on the settings.
To stop a screencast on your Roku, go to settings > system> screen mirroring mode and choose prompt (so that you are asked for permission first), or ‘never allow’ to disable it.
We hope you now know how to stream from your phone to Roku.
Using the steps above, you will be able to watch videos and movies on a big screen.
Leave us a message in the comment box below if you have any questions.
Before you go, don’t forget to check out how to watch Twitch on Roku?