Are you a fan of musicals? If you trust your musical knowledge and think you are a master of the performing arts, then these musical quiz questions will challenge you. Then there’s a high chance you’ll have a lot of fun with this musical quiz. What are you waiting for? Go ahead and dive in.
Think you know all the Broadway songs? Then show off that music knowledge by taking on this musical quiz. This musical quiz covers movie musicals, Broadway musicals, and even West End musicals. A good theatre show can make us feel revitalized. Hopefully, this musical quiz will remind you why you love them.
Broadway musical quiz
- Who wrote the musical Cats which was adapted into an infamous 2019 movie? Andrew Lloyd Webber.
- How many professional theaters form part of Broadway in New York City? 41 Professional Theaters.
- When did “The Phantom of the Opera” first debut on Broadway? October 9, 1986.
- In which recent Broadway revival hit did Lea Michelle replace Beanie Feldstein? Funny Girl.
- What is the highest-grossing Broadway musical show of all time? The Lion King.
- What is the UK equivalent of New York’s Broadway? London’s West End.
- What is the name of the protagonist of the Broadway adaptation of the movie Legally Blonde? Elle Woods.
- Who is the iconic main antagonist of the 1986 off-Broadway rock horror-comedy musical Little Shop of Horrors? Audrey II.
- Who played Aaron Burr in the Broadway production of Lin Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton? Leslie Odom Jr.
- The Broadway musical Wicked is about which fantasy character? The Wicked Witch of the West.
Film musical quiz
- What movie musical was incorrectly announced as the Best Picture winner in 2016 before the mistake was rectified? La La Land.
- What American musical film, remade by Steven Spielberg in 2021, had songs originally written by Stephen Sondheim? West Side Story.
- Which High School Musical alumni also starred in the musical Hairspray? Zac Efron.
- For what epic musical did Anne Hathaway with the best-supporting actress Oscar? Les Misérables.
- What was the name of Zac Efron’s jock character in High School Musical? Troy Bolton.
- Who played the role of Jean Valjean in the 2012 adaptation of Les Misérables? Hugh Jackman.
- What classic movie musical stars Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer in lead roles? The Sound of Music.
- What was the name of the 2019 movie musical, starring Taron Egerton, about Elton John’s life? Rocketman.
- The song “Sweet Transvestite” is from which musical classic? The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Who was the male star of the musical La La Land? Ryan Gosling.
- Before achieving stardom through the South Park TV show, Matt Stone and Trey Parker produced which musical? Cannibal! The Musical.
Popular musical quiz
- How many Mamma Mia movies have been released so far? Two movies.
- What 1913 play is the musical My Fair Lady based on? Pygmalion.
- According to the very popular Disney song, what do the words “Hakuna Matata” mean? No worries!
- Who played the title role in the original musical movie for Mary Poppins? Julie Andrews.
- What is the name of the Monty Python and the Holy Grail musical? Spamalot.
- What was the name of the main protagonist of the musical Hairspray? Tracy Turnblad.
- Who is the main character of the play Chicago? Roxie Hart.
- What is the name of the musical that made Jonathan Larsson a star shortly after he died? Rent.
- What is the name of the first musical that Old Hollywood star Judy Garland ever appeared in? The Wizard of Oz.
- What is the most famous song from the Rocky Horror Picture Show musical? Time Warp.
West end musical quiz
- What is the longest-running West End musical? Les Misérables.
- Which West End adaptation of a British coming-of-age movie deals with a boy trying to combat negative stereotypes about being a male ballet dancer? Billy Eliot the musical.
- What Jukebox musical is based on the songs of the rock band Queen? We Will Rock You.
- Which West End British musical, that opened in 2019, is an adaptation of a sitcom of the same name? Only Fools And Horses.
- What West End musical is based on a book that was adapted into a movie starring Robin Williams as a woman? Mrs. Doubtfire.
- What West End musical is based on a book by Roald Dahl about a girl with telekinetic powers? Matilda The Musical.
- Who was the original Elphaba from Wicked at both Broadway and the West End? Idina Menzel.
- The West End Musical based on the people of Gander, Newfoundland is known as…? Come From Away.
- In what year did Lin Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton open at the West End? 2017.
- What was the name of the musical about the Spice Girls that debuted in London? Viva Forever.
Related: Frozen trivia questions with answers
Guess the musical quiz
- A musical feature film starring Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell? Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
- A musical movie in which Gene Kelly tap dances in the rain? Singin’ In The Rain.
- A musical movie that has been remade several times about a lady who comes into stardom but has to sacrifice love. A Star Is Born.
- A musical about a barber who kills his clients and then gives them to an accomplice to bake their meat? Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
- The musical with the most Tony Award wins of all time? South Pacific.
- A movie musical starring Barbra Streisand and James Caan? Funny Lady.
- A movie musical starring Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor? Moulin Rouge!A musical about two gangs representing two communities in New York in which a boy from one gang falls in love with a girl from the other community. West Side Story.
- A movie about a girl following a yellow brick road with three of her friends? The Wizard of Oz.
- A movie about a nun taking care of seven children and bringing them closer to their father. The Sound of Music.