A great way to improve the writing skills of young kids is by encouraging them with interesting writing practices. These kindergarten writing prompts are ideal for helping young children in their writing process.
They contain exciting sentence starters and story starters to help the young writers with plot ideas to build their stories. The best part is the prompts cover various topics you can spread throughout the school year.
Even reluctant writers will build their confidence when they get something they enjoy writing about. So, make the writing lessons as fun and engaging as possible.
Fun Kindergarten writing prompts
These fun writing prompts will help your beginning writers think of simple scenarios that will aid them in building their stories.
- When I’m at home, my favorite thing to do is _______
- My best friend’s name is_____ We became friends because _____
- I love reading my favorite book. Its title is ____
- ___ bought me my favorite toy. It is a ____
- If I could keep any pet, my favorite animal I would love to have is ___
- My favorite color is ____ because ___
- The first time I saw my favorite movie, I was with ___ The movie is called ____
- ____ is my favorite food. I love it when ____ cooks it or buys it for me.
- Write about your favorite sport and who you play it with.
- What is your best day of the week? What do you do?
- What is the best thing you did for a friend? Who was it?
- What is your favorite holiday? Why?
- Write about an interesting place you visited with your parents. What did you do there?
- What ocean animal do you find fascinating? Why do you find it interesting?
- When you take a closer look at yourself in the mirror, how can you describe yourself?
- What are some of your favorite games? Who do you love to play with?
- If you could do something daily, what could it be? Why?
- Write about your daily routine after you wake up.
- The thing I like most about school is ____
- Who taught you how to play your favorite game? When do you find time to play this game?
- My favorite activity during recess is _____
Winter Kindergarten writing prompts
Good writing comes from daily practice. Improve your students’ writing portfolios with these winter kindergarten writing prompts.
- What would you do if you met a friendly polar bear that talks and skis? What would you talk about? What adventures would you have in the snow?
- Which arctic animals do you know? If you could take one as a pet, which one would it be? Write why you picked it.
- Which winter sport would you participate in if you could? Write about how it’s played and why you find it so interesting.
- What do you love about the winter season? Describe any special activities you like to do.
- When it’s so cold, do you stay indoors or play outside? I like to___ in the cold.
- My favorite hot drink is ____ I love it because ____
- What are the best indoor games you have played? Write about how it’s played.
- If you could make a snowman, how would you go about it? Write the steps you would take to make the best snowman.
- Imagine you had a talking snowman. Write about the adventures you would have together.
- Imagine you woke up and found your compound filled with snow. Write about what you would do with your friends and siblings.
- During the winter, my favorite clothing is____ because ____
- What is different about the winter that does not happen during the other seasons?
- You go to the school playground and find it is filled with snow. You have to play with skis or sleds. Which one do you choose and why?
- If you were to change something that happens during winter, what would it be? Why?
Summer Kindergarten writing prompts
Knowing how to write about a specific thing is an important skill. These summer writing prompts will help the young writers with writing samples about summer.
- During the last summer vacation, I _____
- When the sun is hot, I enjoy my favorite ice cream, which is ____
- Write a short story about an adventure you would have with your best friend.
- What is your favorite season? Write about some of the things you do.
- Describe something interesting that you learned during the last summer vacation.
- If you were to go on a summer vacation to some great place you saw on TV, where would it be? What games or adventures would you have?
- When we break for the summer holiday, I would love my family to ___
- What do you do during the easter holiday? Do you and your family celebrate?
- Have you ever watched a movie at the movie theatre? Which movie did you watch, and how was the experience? If not, what movie do you wish you had watched at the movie theatre and why?
- Have you ever been to the beach? Write about your experience there. If you haven’t been to the beach, imagine going to the beach for a vacation with your family. What fun things would you do?
- My favorite outdoor game is_____ I love playing with ___ because____
- Write about a fun way to make your favorite juice.
- What would it be if you could keep any wild animal as a pet? Why?
- What is your favorite fairy tale? Write something interesting that happens in the story.
- If you could convince your parents to take you anywhere in the world for summer vacation, where would it be? Write about what you find so interesting about this place.
- What’s your most memorable summer holiday? Write the things you did to make the day unforgettable.
Related: Fun writing prompts for kids
Spring Kindergarten writing prompts
Here are some great prompts for writing ideas about the spring season.
- Have you ever been out on a rainy day? What do you do when it’s rainy, and you have to stay indoors?
- I love to ___ during spring.
- Describe something unique you noticed during the previous spring.
- What are your favorite flowers? What makes them special?
- What is your favorite spring holiday? Is there something special you do with your family? Explain
- What trees do you love the way they bloom? Describe how they change.
- Describe spring in beautiful words.
- When spring comes, I will____
- April fool’s day is a day when _____
- Write a short special letter for mother’s day.
- When I come across puddles of water, I _____
- Rain is special because ____
- Spring symbolizes birth and the start of new things. During spring, I would like to start ____
Kindergarten writing prompts with word bank
Another simple way to assist kindergarten students with their creativity is by helping them fill in missing words in sentences. This activity sheet has a word bank of answers to use and fill in the blanks.
It is a great idea to help them see the idea in full sentences.
- The ____ built a beautiful nest.
- The farmer drove a ____ across his large farm.
- My mother told me not to ride my _____ without a helmet.
- The hen laid a small ____
- I saw a green ____ hopping in the pond.
- Her garden has beautiful ____
- The tall tree has shed its _____
- The animals ran when the ____ roared.
- The ____ were buzzing in the air.
- The _____ was excitedly wagging its tail.
Bird, tractor, bike, egg, frog, tulips, leaves, lion, bees, dog
A blank page in a composition notebook can also make the mind go blank. But with the kindergarten writing prompts to help out, your young students will be able to come up with good stories on their own.
Teach them to construct simple sentences, and the kindergartener’s imagination will do the rest. You can also gather them in small groups to do writing activities together to make it more fun.