Here are some fun writing prompts that will encourage your children to write more.
The fun writing prompts can be used in the classroom or as part of their daily journal.
The prompts will tap into their imagination and get them thinking creatively.
Most of the questions will also help you understand what your child likes and dislikes.
Fun writing prompts for kids:
- Write about a charity that you would like to support. Why is this charity important to you?
- Imagine being a movie director, what type of movie would you produce?
- Write about the time you helped a friend. What did you do? How did it make you feel?
- What was your favorite part of the day?
- What do you like most about your country?
- What does a dream holiday look like to you?
- If you can have any pet in the world, what would it be? Why do you want that pet?
- If you can be a teacher, what subject would you like to teach? Why?
- What is your favorite toy?
- What is your best childhood memory?
- Write about your favorite food.
- What are the things you like about your best friend?
- What do you think it means to be an adult?
- What gift would you like this Christmas?
- Write about your favorite TV show.
- If you can meet any famous person, who would you like to meet?
- If you have a travel machine, where would you like to do?
- What does happiness mean to you?
- What is the best thing about your family?
- Describe your bedroom.
- What is the funniest joke you heard recently?
- What is the hardest job in the world?
- If you can be friends with anyone in the world, who would you like to be friends with?
- Wha is the best compliment you have ever received?
- Write about your strengths.
- What does the word “brave” mean to you?
- Who is your role model?
- Write about your biggest accomplishment?
- If you can have 1 superpower, what would it be? Why is this superpower important to you?
- What invention can you think of that would make the world a better place?
- If animals can talk, what will they say to you?
- If you can have a genie that can grant you 3 wishes, what would you ask for?
- List down 10 ways you can be a good friend.
- What is your favorite way to relax?
- If you can spend the weekend building something, what would you build?
- What is your favorite holiday season?
- Who is your favorite teacher and why?
- Describe your dream house
- Write about what do you when you look into the mirror.
- Write about the best dream you have ever had
- Write about the scariest dream you have ever had.
- Write about the worst holiday you have ever experienced.
- What will you do if you were given $1000?
- What do you like most about your home?
- What is the best thing about online learning?
- What do you miss most about going to school?
- What do you like best about your school?
- Write about your biggest fear?
- Write about what you want to become when you grow big,
- What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now?
- How do you feel about smartphones?
- What do you hate most about smartphones?
- Write a letter to your favorite teacher.
- Describe your family.
- Write about your favorite place in the world.
- Describe the best birthday you have ever experienced.
- How would you like to celebrate your next birthday?
- You have been selected to go to space and stay there for one month. Describe all the things you would pack and why they are important to you.
Imaginative writing prompts:
- Write about a boy who had a dragon living right next door.
- Write about an island that is filled with Dinosaurs.
- Write about a boy who got lost in the woods.
- You heard a loud knock, you opened the door but no one was there. Describe what happens next.
- Write about a man who falls in love with a girl who lives on another planet.
- You discovered a hidden treasure in your back garden. Describe the treasure.
- Write a story about a dog who kept barking in the forest.
- You woke up one morning and find yourself invisible. What did you do today?
- You visited the zoo and found out that animals started talking to you. What did they say?
- You were on a holiday in the mountains when you suddenly heard a big eruption. Describe what happens next.
- Imagine swimming with sharks. How do you think it would feel?
- Imagine living in a haunted house. Describe the experience.
Funny writing prompts for kids:
- My dream school has…
- If I am a bee for one day I would…
- If I am famous I will…
- If I have 10 arms I would…
- If I were the principal for the day, I will…
- If I had a time machine……
- I imagine being a famous artist and…..
- I have a magic wand that can……
- I woke up looking like a warrior princess with a horse…..
We hope you have enjoyed the fun writing prompts here. Don’t forget to share with friends and family
Fun writing prompts for grade schoolers.
Here are some simple and fun writing prompts that will help grade-schoolers in their creative process when looking for good plots for their stories:
- Which wild animal do you wish you could tame and have as a pet? Why?
- What would you love to become as an adult? Write about what you would do in a day if you became that person.
- What fun things would you do if you could live a day as your favorite video game character? What would be your duty or mission?
- What would you choose if you could spend a day as an animal? Why? How would you spend the day?
- Which food or snack do you think you could eat daily and never get bored? Why?
- What’s your favorite game? What lessons would you give to someone who wants to learn and become a great player?
- Which day do you most look forward to? Why is it your favorite day?
- Where would you go if you could spend a holiday anywhere you like? Why? And what would you do while there?
- Which is your least favorite food? Why do you not like it, and why do you think other people like it?
The secret of creating your prompt is thinking about the direction you want your story to take. This will help you against jumping from one idea to the next. Here are more fun writing prompts for grade schoolers:
- Which things do you love but your parents and teachers don’t let you do? Why can’t they allow it, and why do you think it’s a good thing?
- Since you started schooling, which was the most memorable day? What was so unique about it?
- If you could have a conversation with your pet, what conversation would you have? If you don’t have a pet, imagine you have one.
- Which is your least favorite chore? If you could invent the machine to do it for you, what would it do, and what would it look like?
- What would it be like if you could have the best birthday party? Who would you invite, and what fun activities would you do?
- Who are your best cartoon characters, and why do you love them?
- Which place in the world do you wish you could visit? Why? What would you do there?
- What’s the most challenging thing in your school or social life?
- What’s the best book you have read? What makes it unique, and what lessons did you learn from it?
- What would you do differently if you were in charge of your school for a week? What would you change, and what would you make the students do?
- What’s the most memorable dream you’ve ever had? Why was it so unique?
Fun writing prompts for older kids.
These fun writing prompts will help you choose a theme on which to base your next story:
- Write about the most memorable event you have ever attended. Why was it so remarkable, and what lessons did you learn?
- Vividly describe your dream destination. What activities would you do? Who would you tag along with, and why?
- You are given a chance to start your life all over again from scratch. What new thing would you be aiming to achieve? What would you do differently?
- You are on a road trip with a bunch of friends, and you have the best fun you’ve ever had. You are even contemplating staying and never going back home. What’s the story? Where does the road trip lead?
- Who’s your favorite celebrity? What makes them so special in your eyes? If you could spend a day with them, what would you do?
- What would you do if you had all the money you needed for your dream vacation? Where would you go, and what would you do?
- What are the things you would do to make the world perfect for you?
- Would you quit a well-paying job that limits your freedom and affects your mental job and opt for a job with all the freedom but pays peanuts? Explain
- You get stuck in an elevator with your crush, and it will take an hour before you are rescued. What would you discuss?
- Sitting at the park, you notice a bag on the next bench, and no one is nearby. You look inside to see if there are some documents, only to be might by crisp notes of money. You take it home, but a phone starts ringing inside the bag. Write what happens.
- What would your dream birthday party look like if you had no budget issues? You can invite anyone. What would your dream list look like, and what activities would happen?
- Which character in a book has touched you so much? What would the day be like if you could live a day in their shoes?
- Imagine you have achieved everything you wished to grow up to become. What would you be doing now? Write about the different life you would be living.
- You reluctantly wake up, with your body tired and you have a sight headache. Upon opening your eyes, you notice that this is not your bed and you are in a strange room. What happened? What now?
- Write about a nightmarish day when everything seemed to go against your will. Everything you were doing seemed to fail.
When you get a clear picture of what you want to write about, you will discover that writing can be pretty easy and exciting. Ensure you don’t mix too many ideas to make your pieces easy to understand. These fun writing prompts will help you develop good ideas for your stories.
Fun fiction writing prompts
Creating fiction stories can be made simple by choosing a topic and a plot, then sticking to it. Here are fun writing prompts for fiction essays:
- Briefcase in hand, you look back at the house with relief, knowing you will never return to this place. What events lead to this moment? What next?
- Write a story about a character who volunteers to go on a mass expedition. Two months into the space voyage, they come across a blinding light and, upon crossing it, see a nearby land and decide to land. They later discover they have come back to earth, but 5000 years ago. What happens?
- The dogs kept barking angrily until he decided to go outside and see what was happening. What he saw sent shivers down his spine. Never in his life did he imagine this day would come. What happens?
- “The old man’s steps were as agile as a young man’s, and as much as I tried I couldn’t catch up to him. When he took a turn, I sprinted to close the gap, but on taking the corner, he was nowhere to be seen….” Write about what is happening.
- Invent your own superhero or villain and write about an occurrence during a summer holiday. They are your main character. What happened, and what’s their role?
- Your character has had it with their tyrant leader and decides to run away to a faraway land by crossing the endless forest that separates them from the distant lands. What happens?
- You meet someone at a party, and your heart almost stops. You have lived this moment before, but no matter how much you try, you can’t recall whether it was a dream or something that happened. Write the story.
- Write about a dream that had you wake up happy and hopeful about the future.
- The Hollywood agents recruit you to be a stunt double, and you get to hang out with your favorite actor, but they show you dislike from the moment you meet. Write about how the day goes.
- Your main character has magic power, but they have to use it sparingly because something happens to them every time they use it. What’s their ability? What’s their story?
- What would that day be like if you could live a day in your most incredible dream or your deepest fantasy?
- The police came and started asking questions about your best friends. Apparently, they aren’t the person you think they are. They tell you your friend is, in fact, a 700-year-old extra terrestrial hiding among humankind. You try calling, but their line is out of service. Write the story.
- Write a story about a mysterious cave you discover while hiking. When you enter the cave, some ancient writings are on the wall, and an ominous feeling surrounds it. What happens?
- You and your friends discover a time machine and plan to o back in time to fix something awful in history, but there are consequences of changing the past. What are you going to resolve, and what happens as a result?
- You are woken up by the constant ringing of the doorbell, and when you open the door, the president and his people are there at your door. He says there is something urgent you should talk about. What happens?