Story starters for kids are a great way to get the imagination going.
The fun writing prompts below are a great way to tackle writer’s block and the blank-page anxiety felt by many children when asked to create short stories.
There are plenty of great story ideas that would encourage young writers to enjoy writing.
The fun story starters will also improve your child’s writing skills. Good writing prompts will also give your child different ideas that they can explore and turn into longer essays.
Story starters also help kids learn about different genres of writing. For example, a fantasy genre might start with something like “Once upon a time…,” while an adventure might start with “One day in Paris…”
There are many types of story starters for kids that you can find on this blog post and also other good examples to get your child started on their writing journey. So let’s get started!
Story Starters for Kids in KS2
Are you looking for story starters for kids in KS2? We have dozens of ideas that will help your students get started on their writing. You can find lists of creative writing prompts, ideas, and more on our blog. Keep reading;
- What kind of creatures are your friends?
2. Write about your favorite sport?
3. If you can move to a new city where would you go?
4. Who is the most popular person in school today?
5. Do you think it would be better if humans were more like animals or vice versa?
6. Why did the chicken cross the road? How come it didn’t use a flyover?
7. Tell me a story about your favorite holiday. What is it?
8. Why do you like this time of year best?
9. If there is one famous person you can meet, who would you like to meet?
10. Create a new planet. What would you call it? Describe what the planet would look like?
Related : Journal prompts for depression
11. What do you like most about high school?
12. Growing up, what were some strange things you like to play with?
13. Write 5 things you like most about your younger sibling.
14. Write about your favorite fictional character.
15. What is your favorite book? Rewrite the ending of your favorite book.
16. If you can spend the day with a movie star, what will you do that day?
17. If your favorite animal can speak, what will it say to you?
18. Imagine there is a secret door in your bedroom. When you open the door where does it take you? Describe the place.
19. Write about the characters in your favorite video game
20. What was the first toy you remember playing with as a child, and why do you still have it today?
21. When is a bear not just a bear?
22. Do you know what happens to drowned mice?
23. Do you have any bad habits? Tell me one and how they make people feel around them when they’re doing it or think of them.
24. What’s the hottest thing in your life right now?
25. What if there were only one rule in the world? What would it be, and why do you think this is such a great idea that everyone should follow?
26. Where does the sun go at night? What if it never came back in time for morning to come again?
Related : Journal prompts for mental health
27. What are you going to do when your sister is in town? You could take her out for ice cream or visit the zoo together.
28. What would happen if you found your cell phone in the middle of a forest? Would it be easy to find or hard?
29. What is better: a sour candy or lemon?
30. If your mom let you pick out three things from the store, what would they be?
31. Would you share your fortune cookie with a friend or mom?
32. What is your favorite thing to eat for a delicious dessert?
33. Is school more fun than home because there are always new things to learn, or is it better at home where the people and environment can be customized just for you?
Story Starters for Kids in KS1
Do you have a story starter for kids in KS1? Here are some ideas for stories. You can also use your idea and tweak these prompts as needed.
34. What is the best thing that happened to you this week?
35. What did you learn today in school?
36. Are there any funny stories from class or recess that made you laugh this week?
37. What are your favorite colors?
38. When was the last time you used all ten fingers?
39. What do you like most about your best friend?
40. Who do you love the most in this world?
Related : Journal prompts for kids
41. What is your favorite thing to do?
42. What’s your favorite fairy tale?
43. What is the best place to hide a Christmas present?
44. What are stars made of?
45. Who is cooler: Batman or Superman?
46. If you had to choose just one thing, what would it be? Chocolate or pizza?
Adventure Story Starters for Kids
Do you ever have a hard time coming up with adventure story starters for kids? We have a great list of ideas below.
Our list of amazing adventure story starters is designed to get your imagination flowing. From exploring the jungle to being lost in space, there’s an adventure that will tap into your child’s imagination.
47. What if you had a time machine? What would be the most fun thing to do with it, like visiting famous people from history or going back in time for an adventure.
48. You’re a curious kid who wants to explore the world. What if you could go anywhere in the world? Where would you like to live?
49. Do you ever wonder what might happen if one day, for some reason or other, you decided to swim across the river? What animal would be swimming with you, and why do they want to help out on this adventure of yours?
Related : Middle school writing prompts
50. What are the three things you would do with 1 million dollars?
51. What would you do if a stranger offered to take you on an unforgettable journey, but there was one condition: You could never come back home again?
52. What if you were trapped in an underground mine with your friends?
53. What if the adventure is at home or in your backyard.
54. What might happen to a kid on an adventure? Perhaps they would meet with ghosts or go on quests for treasure.
55. What will it take for me to go on an adventure with my friends and family? What should I pack? What if we’re separated from each other.
56. What if you become a secret agent? You would need to find out your enemies’ plans and make sure that no one knows who you are or what they know about.
57. What kind of adventure awaits you? There are so many fun things to do, which will it be?
58. What should you be doing in your daily life? You could go to the library, park, or a museum.
59. What would you do if the sky was falling and there were no places to hide?
60. What is the tallest tree you’ve ever seen or climbed? Have others tried to get up it too, and if so, how did they do at first?
61. What’s your favorite type of mountain to climb? What about trees or snow-capped peaks.
Happy Story Starters for Kids
Do you ever struggle to find a happy story starter for your kids? Do you want them to be engaged and excited about what they are writing or telling stories about? Well, if so, this section is for you.
Here are some happy story starters that will get the creative juices flowing.
62. What if you found an old treasure map that leads to buried gold?
63. What are some of the things that you do at a beach?
64. What if you were a superhero with super speed? What would you do then, and how might the world be different from what it is now?
65. Would you rather have a day with Santa Claus or be the naughty child? What would you do on this magical holiday adventure?
66. What’s your favorite funny memory involving you and your family?
Related : 4th grade writing prompts for kids
67. If you can spend the whole day doing something you love, what will you be doing?
68. Have you ever been to a restaurant that was so good, your mouth started watering just with the thought of it?
69. What is one thing you would like to do on your birthday?
70. When you step on ants, they do not scream; why?
71. What is one thing that you can make anyone smile, no matter what’s going on in their life at the time?
72. Who is the most important person in your life?
73. Have you met any famous people before, like professional athletes or movie stars, and what was it like meeting them for real rather than just on TV?
Fantast Story Starters for Kids
In fantasy stories, you can do anything: fly off to another planet and explore the galaxy, get lost in an enchanted forest with talking animals. You don’t have to make reality fit your story – you write a new one.
Do you ever need help coming up with a story idea? Maybe you’re trying to think of a good birthday present for your friend, or maybe you want to create an imaginative game for your family.
Well, this section is going to be all about fantasy story starters for kids. Check them out below :
Related : Growth mindset activities for kids
74. What if you could fly like a bird? Would it be cool to see the world from up high, soaring over mountains and oceans without any restrictions or boundaries? Write about the things you can see if you can fly.
75. What if you found yourself in a world without people? Would you find new friends, or would it be too lonely to bear?
76. If you were an animal which would it be and why?
77. What if you were transported into a magical world via the back of your closet?
78. What if there were no electricity in the world and you had to make everything by hand?
79. What if you could ask a question and have an answer appear in front of your eyes? Would that be cool or what?
80. What if there was a world where time had frozen? What would you do with all the extra free time on your hands?
81. What if you found a mirror that could answer any question? What would your questions be for the magic mirror?
82. What if you woke up and found yourselves on Mars?
Related : Growth mindset activities for kids
87. Your train toy built its own track and went missing, what do you do next?
88. You received a letter from a stranger. What happens next?
89. A dog jumped into your room and ran away with your homework. How do you explain it to your teacher that is believable?
90. You discovered a treasure hidden at the back of your garden. What was in it?
91. You went diving into the sea and discovered a new sea creature. Write about that sea creature.
92. You met an alien. What did he say to you?
93. You find yourself being able to communicate with people living in space. What did they tell you?
94. You discovered an old letter in your grandma’s box. It has all the inheritance for the family. What was being said in the letter?
95. You won the lottery. What will you do with 1 million dollars that you won?
96. You are given the choice to choose one superpower. What will you choose? What will you do with that power?
97. Imagine waking up to only half of your size.
98. Write a story about diving to the deepest part of the sea. What did you see there? How long did it take you to come back up?
99. Write a story about being lost in space. How did you come back to earth?
100. If you can become a movie star for one day. Which movie star would you like to be? Describe what your day would look like.
101. Imagine building a new city. Describe what the city would look like.
102. Write a story about being the ruler of the jungle.
103. Write a story about being best friends with a lion
104. Rewrite the ending of Cinderalla, write it from the point of view of the sisters.
105. One morning you woke up invisible. No one could see you. What did you do that day?
106. One day you woke up realizing that you are the only person left in this world. Describe what happens next?
107. The grandfather clock in your house has a secret door. Where did it take you?
108. You find yourself trapped inside a video game. What happens next?
109. Your favorite cartoon characters showed up in your room. What did they say to you?
110. Describe a special present that you received from Santa from this year.
111. You were having your dinner when suddenly the dish ran away with the spoon. What happens next
112. The toys in your home started talking to you. They want to take you on an adventure. Where did you go?
113. On a visit to the zoo animals started speaking to you. What did they say?
114. You went to the library and opened a book that sucked you into the story. What happens next?
115. You went on a boat trip and got drifted. You woke up and found yourself in an isolated island. What happens next?
116. I got struck by lightning at my back garden, what happened next?
117. I was stranded at sea when a shark came to rescue me. Write about this encounter.
118. I was swimming at the beach when a dolphin came and gave me a kiss. What happens next?
119. I got a message that says “I can see you”. What happens next?
120. Someone left a note in my school back that says “I am watching you”. What happens next?
121. I was sleeping when suddenly everything is shaken. The cupboard is about to fall, the bed is shaking and everything is a mess. What happens then?
122. The note on my fortune cookie says “run and never come back”.
123. The surgeon did not realize that I was awake throughout the operation. Describe the experience.
124. You picked up the wrong suitcase at the airport. When you came back home you opened it found things that are mysterious. What was in it?
125. Olivia spent the day building a snowman. Just before going to bed she decided to give it one last peak but found the snowman smiling at her.
126. Deep in the forest lived daddy bear, mummy bear, and baby bear. They decided to go for a walk. When they came back they saw their house was in a mess. Who entered the house?
127. I found a dragon living right next door. However, he was not an ordinary dragon. We became close friends. One day he got angry and flew away. How did you find him again?
128. I got an offer to spend the day with Santa. What did you do on that day?
Story starters sentences for kids:
129. You found a box wrapped. You opened it and…..
130. You screamed so loud but no one heard, then suddenly……
131. You ran and ran and ran but…….
132. You heard a loud shout so you went out to see what was happening when suddenly…
133. It was Halloween night and not a soul in sight, you heard footsteps coming……
134. You discovered a magic book………
135. You switched on the TV and suddenly found yourself as a news reporter that is reporting live about…..
136. You found a genie that can grant you 3 wishes…….
137. You found out that everything about your life is a lie…..
138. You knock the door but no one answered, you climbed on the window and discovered……
139. You were walking from school when suddenly you were being chased…
140. You heard loud music coming from your living, it sounded like an orchestra band…
141. You saw Batman jumping off the building of your school…
142. You became the superhero in your favorite cartoon but then…
Don’t forget to check out the growth-mindset kit made to help kids find their purpose
143. The day I was born…..
144. The Tik Tok account I created for my grandma went viral, she is getting sponsored posts from all around the world, but…..
145. I have always wanted to be brave like my sister. She would fight all the bullies in school. I remember when I was young, she……
146. I walked through the garden, knowing that I would never be back here again. I said goodbye to all the flowers I planted. I climbed to my treehouse. I am so angry, why are they making me…
147. I was shivering being stuck in the cold for so long. I tried to open the door of my house, but it was frozen. I looked up the window and saw everyone else having a warm cup of tea, but no one could hear my voice and door knock. What if I……
148. Inside an envelope, there was a…..
149. They sat next to each in the airplane, not knowing that they were…..
150. He should have never left the house when…
151. I was walking through the woods when I heard…
152. I never would have dreamed that…
153. A wizard came to my room and cast a magic spell that turned me into a…
154. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it….
156. It was one of those days when everything seems to be going wrong…
157. I slept and woke up in heaven…
158. The best birthday I ever had was…
159. The best holiday I have even been to was…
160. The happiest day of my life was…
161. I tried my hardest to be good but…..
Story starters that start with ‘What if”
162. What if I could turn back time, where would I go?
163. What if I could reinvent the internet. How will I do it differently?
164. What if I created a machine that could tell what would happen in the future?
165. What if I could leave school to pursue my dreams? Will my parents agree?
166. What if my parents forgot about me and went on a holiday to Europe without realizing I was left alone at home? How will I contact them?
167. What if I can invent a tool that would instantly turn me into a millionaire? Will I share this tool with anyone else?
168. What if I woke up tomorrow morning being able to speak to animals? What conversation will I have with them?
169. What if I was asked to direct a movie with my favorite actor? What will the movie be about?
170. What if I saw my parents doing something illegal? Will I report them to the police?
171. What if I could live in Disneyland for 2 weeks?
Story starters with pictures for kids:
We hope you enjoyed the story starters for kids above. Encourage your child to turn the prompt ideas in this blog into a short story. Even better, ask them to create their own stories.
With so many options available in this article, it is easy to find one that will keep their attention long enough to finish their stories. With the help of these creative story starters
we are sure that your child will become a professional writer with some practice.
Before you go don’t forget to get the Personalised Growth mindset kit for children