Funny writing prompts can help get the creative writing juices flowing.
Sometimes writing does not need to be serious at all. Using funny writing prompts you can tap into your imagination that you never know existed.
The funny writing prompts here are suitable for children of all ages. They can also be used by adults, especially during family gatherings or ice breaker sessions during birthday parties.
Teachers can also use funny writing prompts in the classroom, to lighten up the mood and get students expressing their thoughts.
This can be particularly beneficial for students who are starting a new grade, or going back to school after a long time.
24 Funny writing prompts:
- Write a story about a nanny that kept falling asleep
- The nanny forgets to close the door and the baby sneaked out while the nanny fell asleep. Describe what happens next
- The teacher did not believe that the dog ate my homework. Finish the story
- An alien felt so ticklish when landed on the grass. Finish the story.
- The mouse stole my wallet and ate my dollars. Describe what happens next.
- The cat jumped over the moon and the dish ran away with the spoon. Create a story out of that sentence.
- My family forgot that they left me at the airport. They boarded the plane while I was waiting in the boarding area. Describe what happens next
- A mother is obsessed with getting followers on Instagram. Describe what she did.
- Write a story about a genius who fell over his own intelligence.
- Describe a world that is ruled by animalsdon’t forget to check this out:
- Describe a story where the Uber driver does not know how to drive properly
- Write a story about a teacher who couldn’t stop sneezing
- Write a 2 step instruction on how to use a microwave
- Write a story with the word that sounds like “track”
- Pretend you are living in the 70s. How would you be dressing up?
- You discovered a new planet. 20 years from now, people will be living on this planet. What would you name this new planet? Write a story about the magical things about this planet.
- Would you rather spend the rest of your life in a library, museum or zoo?
- Imagine creating your own report card, in which subjects would you get an A?
- Create a new game that only you and your friends can understand.
- Imagine you had a pause button in your life. To which moment in your life would you hit that button?
- Create new rules for your school. What would it be?
- Pretend like you are living in the 80s and write a story about how spoil kids are these days.
- Write the most annoying commercial you have ever seen.
- Write a poem about yourself in the form of an animal
Write a story around the funny writing prompts below:
- You woke up one day, and everyone around you started telling the truth.
- You found a hole in your back garden that can transport you to a different universe.
- The priest said the wrong prayers.
- A girl suffers from a disease that maker her blush every time she is shy
- People suddenly realize they were all robots
- Romeo and Juliet realized their relationship was a mistake
- A marriage counselor had an unsuccessful marriage for 3 times. Would you trust him?
- Cupid got struck by a lightning.
- Comedians decided to run as presidential candidates.
- A prince decided to give away his throne for love.
- A child who is scared of his own shadow.
- A scientist manages to bring back Mummies to live from the tomb. However, they did not realize that now all the Mummies have come back to haunt them.
- A woman accidentally dialed a phone number that told her that she is now a millionaire.
- A man won an award to be the best stand-up comedian. He is now being hired by a rich man to teach him how to tell jokes.
- Take a piece of paper and just write down the words that come into your mind.
- An author wrote the wrong autobiography. Now he is stuck with a story that is so much more engaging to read for his readers.
- A bored employee hacked the social media profile of his company and started posting about them.
- Write a story about an Easter bunny who was eating everyone’s eggs.
- I stepped on someone else’s shoes and I was suddenly living the life of that person.
- Google is no longer algorithm. It has become a real person. Every time you search for something, a person will be talking back at you.
- You get a set of minions for the week. What will you do with them?
Finish the sentence:
- My cereal bowl had gold c0ins in it………
- I laughed so hard that…..
- I never thought that my dog could laugh…….
- I sneezed and……
- The cat ate the mouse and……..
- I am sure this science experiment will not explode us……
- I was told that I would be spending time at home for 3 months……….
- I adopted 10 dogs without telling my mom…….
- The grass at my home was so green that my neighbors……
- My name is actually……..
- I accidentally dialled 911….
- My teacher is not in school, I think she is at the…..
- What is the funniest joke you have ever heard?
- Who is the funniest person that you know?
- Would you ever want to be a stand-up comedian?
- Describe an inside joke that only your friends and family know about.
- Rewrite the current news story using the word “but” after every 5 words
- What is the funniest TV show you have ever watched?
- What is the funniest book you have ever read?
- How do you think people can be funny?
- Do you think stand-up comedian practice their act beforehand?
- Write the funniest holiday you have ever been on.
- Write the funniest incident you have ever experienced.
- Write a story about the funniest moments you had with your family.
We hope you have enjoyed the funny writing prompts. If you do, please share it with your friends and family.