We are living in the computer age. Each person more or less uses computers to get their work done today, from desktops to laptops to iPads to smartphones. But for how much we all use computers, how well do we know them? Well, this computer trivia quiz seeks to test that.
Do you believe you are a computer whiz? If so, challenge yourself with these computer trivia questions. This is an excellent set of questions to try during corporate events, computer classes, or trivia nights. The correct answers have also been provided so you can learn these computer facts if you didn’t know them before.
Easy computer trivia
These are the basic trivia questions that every computer user most likely knows already. But can you answer all of them? And can you answer them in quick time? The only way to find out is by tackling this computer quiz.
- Which billionaire co-founded Microsoft and helped make it a household computing name? Bill Gates.
- Who co-founded Apple and came up with most of its innovations, such as the laptop and the iPad? Steve Jobs.
- Which program in the Microsoft Office suite has to do with manipulating data in spreadsheets? Microsoft Excel.
- What is the full meaning of GUI? Graphical User Interface.
- Who is the founder and CEO of the social media website Facebook? Mark Zuckerberg.
- What name is given to a set of instructions that a computer is meant to run and execute? A computer program.
- What name is given to a setup where a group of computers is interlinked and shares resources with one another? A computer network.
- What specific type of software helps computer users access the internet? Web browsers.
- What name is given to the tiny, handheld computer mobile devices users use to make calls and send text messages? Mobile phone.
- What name is given to the computer hardware that captures user data? Input device.
- What is the meaning of the word RAM? Random Access Memory.
- What type of software application allows users to type and format documents? A Word Processor.
- What is the most common font type in which most official computer documents are typed? Times New Roman.
- What is a peripheral or input device typically used to play video games? A controller or gamepad.
- What components are considered the main parts of a computer? The system unit, the monitor, the keyboard, and the mouse.
- What is the name of the computer component where data is permanently stored? The Hard Disk Drive.
- What are the two primary functions of a computer system? Sending and receiving information.
- In the world of computers, a network security protocol that prevents unauthorized access to or from the network is known as a…? Firewall.
- What was the year that Apple released the first-ever iPhone? 2007.
- Which part of the computer is referred to as the “brain” of the computer? The CPU or Central Processing Unit.
Computer trivia for students
Other than the general facts of computing, there are some really specific facts that typically only computer science students know. How many will you get correct? Well, chances are you do some of these facts yourself. Take the quiz to see where you’ll land on the prize ladder.
- What TV show features a team of four tech guys working on starting their own company using called pied piper? Silicon Valley.
- Which tech company aimed to put a personal computer on every desk? Microsoft.
- What is the name of the first modern computer? Atanasoff–Berry computer.
- What are two file extensions commonly associated with text documents? .text and .doc.
- What does the computer terminology CPU mean? Computer Processing Unit.
- What computer software allows users to play certain forms of media like audio and video? Media Player.
- What type of computer network are the devices in a home or an office a part of? A local area network.
- What distinguishes smartphones from dumbphones? Smartphones can perform advanced computational tasks.
- What name is given to the portable peripheral device that holds or transfers large amounts of data? External Hard Drive.
- What distinguishes modern computers from old-school computers? The presence of silicon chips instead of vacuum tubes.
- What is the set of standard communication protocols used the most? TCP IP.
- How many bytes make up a kilobyte? 1024 bytes.
- What is the meaning of CD-ROM? Compact Disc – Read Only Memory.
- A type of non-volatile computer memory that stores information permanently, even when the computer shuts down, is known as? ROM or Read-Only Memory.
- What is the basic three-step process by which every computer functions? Input-Process-Output.
- What is the common name for a modulator-demodulator hardware device used to access the internet? Modem.
- What is the largest search engine in the world? Google.
- The software system that manages and programs hardware resources for any computer is known as a? The Operating System.
- In the world of computing, what does a UPS mean? Uninterruptible Power Supply.
- What are the full names of the two founders of HP? William Hewlett and David Packard.
Computer history trivia
Even though computing is still a young field, its history is already rich. How much do you know about the trailblazers who laid the foundations of this exciting industry? This quiz tests one’s knowledge of the people, periods, and advancements that marked the rise of the computer.
- Which English polymath is considered as the father of the computer? Charles Babbage.
- Who was the software engineering genius that co-founded Apple with Steve Jobs? Steve Wozniak.
- Which English countess is regarded as the first computer programmer working on Charles Babbage’s analytical engine? Ada Lovelace.
- When was the first computer mouse prototype built? 1964.
- What main elements are computer chips made of? Silicon.
- What devices were used to perform computing processes in computer units before the invention of the silicon computer chip? Vacuum tubes.
- A square device that magnetically stores data on a thin film is known as? A floppy disk/diskette.
- What was the first random access computer storage device? The Williams Tube.
- What are the three computer-related things that Doug Engelbart invented? The Computer Mouse, Groupware, and, The development of the basic Graphical User Interface or GUI.
- Who invented the World Wide Web (WWW)? Sir Tim Burners-Lee.
- What peripheral device, that connects to the motherboard of the computer, enables the computer to input, process, and output sound? The Sound Card.
- Completed in 1945, what was the first programmable, electronic, general-purpose digital computer? ENIAC or Electronic Numerical Integrator.
- What year was the first email sent over the internet? 1971.
- What is the single highest-selling computer model? The Commodore 64.
- In gaming and computing, What does the acronym SNES stand for? Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Who was the third individual that helped Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak create apple? Ronald Wayne.
- What device on the PlayStation 2 allowed players to store their save data and avoid losing all their progress? The memory card.
- How many generations of computers have been invented? Five generations.
- Which computing company designed the first-ever CPU? Intel.
Related: Best fallout shelter trivia
Computer software trivia
Computer software is one of the most relevant components of computing. With them, we can get everything done on computers. How well do you know the most used software though? If you answer is “pretty well”, this computer trivia might have something to say about that.
- The part of a computer that you cannot see or touch is broadly referred to as…? The computer software.
- What is the generic term given to programming languages? Computer languages.
- Which program in the adobe suite is used to manipulate pictures? Adobe Photoshop.
- The field of computing associated with writing new computer programs to carry out new tasks is known as…? Software development.
- The fundamental component of a computer program is known as…? The source code.
- What computer programming language is used to design websites? HTML or HyperText Markup Language.
- What was the original name of Java? Oak.
- What was the original purpose of Java? To create interactive television programs.
- Which tech company released the easy-to-learn Visual Basic computer language in 1991? Microsoft.
- What programming language is named after a type of snake? Python.
- What type of computer program is used to perform mathematical calculations? The Calculator App.
- What type of computer software in the Microsoft Office suite is used to create slides for presentations? Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Applications that have their source code freely available for anyone to modify or add features are known as…? Opensource applications.
- What is the full meaning of Microsoft? Microcomputer Software.
- The popular software that commonly teaches kids to type is known as…? Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.
- The popular software which allows people to create basic art on a PC is known as…? The Paint App.
- Which essential piece of software monitors and removes malicious programs from your computer? An Antivirus.
- What is the most popular web browser? Google Chrome.
- What is the most popular software used by UI/UX designers to create User Interfaces? Figma.
- During the covid-19 pandemic, which communications software took off as a way to remotely host talks and meetings? Zoom.
Modern technology trivia
Technology is always advancing. And the more it advances, the faster it advances. Most people do not have the time or bandwidth to keep up with the latest technological advancements. Do you? Take this computer trivia quiz to find out.
- The simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, especially computer systems is known as…? Artificial Intelligence.
- The capability of a computer to imitate intelligent human processes through repetition and exposure is known as…? Machine Learning.
- What is the world record for the highest rate of data transfer? 319 Tbps over 1,864 miles, set by Japan’s National Institute of Information and Communications Technology in 2021.
- What name is given to the system where basic household objects like fridges and TVs have internet access and are part of a computer network? The Internet of Things (IoT).
- What name is given to the computer-generated simulation intended to replicate real life? Virtual reality.
- What are the two gases that form the plasma in plasma TVs? Neon and Xenon.
- What devices can take a digital model and use certain substances to convert it into a physical model? A 3D Printer.
- What is the name of Google’s parent company? Alphabet.
- What emerging field of technology was the Google Glass intended to pioneer? Augmented Reality.
- Which company discontinued the use of the headphone jack? Apple.
- Who is the current CEO of Apple? Tim Cook.
- Who is the current CEO of Microsoft? Satya Nadella.
- Who is the current CEO of Google? Sundar Pichai.
- What is the most popular email service provider in the world? Gmail.
- What is the main security system by which a user can unlock their iPhone? FaceID.
- Classic devices that we wear on our wrists that have been revolutionized by computing to be able to track our life signs are known as…? Smartwatches.
- The rapidly-developing field of computing that uses advanced laws of physics to develop processing methods is known as…? Quantum Computing.
- A form of modern digital currency that stores value without anyone capable of hacking or altering that value is known as…? Cryptocurrency.
- Mechanical devices that are programmed to perform tasks repeatedly, typically in places inhospitable to humans, are known as…? Robots.
- The field that deals with electronics in an airplane or spaceship are known as…? Avionics.
Was this helpful?
Good job! Please give your positive feedback
How could we improve this post? Please Help us.