The name of animals that start with X might confuse you. So, we have created a list of unheard animals that start with the letter X.
This can be a fun list to have especially when playing “Guess the animal” game with the kids. Or even when you are trying to impress your friends with some strange fun facts.
We cover a list of animals, from fish, birds, mammals, reptiles, and more.
There are also pictures and facts for each animal.
Some of the names are hard to pronounce, but when you see the pictures, you’d understand that they don’t appear as weird as they sound.
Mammals : Animals that starts With X
Here are a list of mammals that starts with the letter X :
1. Xoloitzcuintli or Xolo (a hairless domestic canine breed in Mexico)
Xoloitzcuintle or xolo, also known as a Mexican-haired dog, is one of several types of hairless dogs. You will find this dog in many toys and miniature lego sets.
2. Xenarthra (a superorder including sloths, anteaters & armadillos)
Xenarthra is a clade of placental warm-blooded creatures interesting to the Americas. There are 31 living species. Xenarthrans originated from South America during the Paleocene around 59 million years ago.
3. Xenomys nelsoni (the Magdalena Rat, from Mexico)
Xenomys nelsoni is a type of rat in the family Cricetidae which is discovered uniquely in a little area of western Mexico.
4. Xenurus (a former genus of armadillos, now named Cabassou)
This is a hard-shelled creature that lives in Australia. They are part of the Armadillos group of species.
5. Xerus (genus of African floor squirrels, 4 species)
These are African ground squirrels (family Xerus) that fall under the subfamily of Xerinae. They are commonly found in Africa. There is another African ground squirrel similar to this known as Atlantoxerus
Birds: Animals That Start With X
Here is a list of bird that starts with the letter X.
6. Xantus’ Becard (Pachyramphus aglaiae)
Xantus’ hummingbird is a medium-sized hummingbird found in Baja California Peninsula. It is 8–9 cm long, and weighs roughly 3-4 grams.
7. Xantus’s Murrelet (Synthliboramphus hypoleucus)
Xantus’ murrelet is divided into two species:
- Scripps’ murrelet, Synthliboramphus scrippsi
2. Guadalupe murrelet, Synthliboramphus hypoleucus
Related : Check out this Trivia Questions For Kids
8. Xavier’s Greenbul (Phyllastrephus xavieri)
Xavier’s greenbul is a type of songbird in the bulbul family, Pycnonotidae. It is found in Africa. It lives in tropical dry timberlands or moist lowland forests.
9. Xeme (Xema sabini)
Xema sabini also called a Fork-tailed gull or Xeme, is a little gull. Its generic placement is contested; a few creators treat it as the sole species in the variety Xema as Xema sabini, while others call it in the sort Larus as Larus sabini
10. Xinjiang Ground-Jay (Podoces biddulphi)
Xinjiang ground jay, is a type of bird in the family Corvidae. It is found in China. Its size does not grow bigger than a grown-up human’s hand and has a brownish-white layer of plumes
12. Xenicus gilviventris (New Zealand rock wren)
Xenicus gilviventris is a little New Zealand wren (family Acanthisittidae). Commonly found in South Island of New Zealand. Its Māori names incorporate pīwauwau (“small grumbling flying creature”),
13. Xenipirostris (genus of birds from Madagascar, three species)
Xenopirostris is a bird in the family Vangidae. They are commonly found in Madagascar.
14. Xenops (genus of ovenbirds, 4 species)
Xenops is a variety in the bird family Furnariidae, the ovenbirds. The class contains three types of xenops, which are all found in Mexico, Central America and South America. They grow well in tropical jungles.
15. Xenorhyncus asiaticus (Black-necked Stork)
Xenorhyncus asiaticus is large mostly Old-World wading birds typically having white-and-black plumage.
16, Xolmis (genus of flycatchers in South America, 8 species)3
Xolmis is a variety of South American birds’ creatures in the despot flycatcher family Tyrannidae. These are relative enormous flycatchers that are found in open living spaces. Most have dark, dim and white plumage. There are seven different type of species of Xolmis birds.
Reptiles: Animals That Start With X
17. Xantu’s Leaf-Toed Gecko (Phyllodactylus xanti)
Xanti referred to as the leaf-toed gecko or the peninsular leaf-toed gecko, is a type of reptile in the family Phyllodactylidae. The species is native to California and northwestern Mexico.
18. Xantusia (genus of night time lizards, 14 species, in family Xantusiidae)
Xantusia is one of three genera of night reptiles (family Xantusiidae). Types of Xantusia are little to medium-sized, viviparous (live-bearing) reptiles found in the U.S. Southwest and in northern Mexico.
19. Xenopeltis (genus of sunbeam snakes, 2 species, in own family Xenopeltidae)
Xenopeltis unicolor is a non-venomous sunbeam snake species found in Southeast Asia and a few districts of Indonesia. This is a crude snake known for its exceptionally luminous scales and its capacity to duplicate rapidly.
20. Xenosaurus (genus of liards, 10 species, in circle of relatives Xenosauridae
Xenosaurus grandis, usually known as the handle scaled lizard, is a type of diurnal, earthbound reptile found in Mexico and Guatemala. It usually lives in tropical rainforests. It stays in stone cleft and eats insects.
Fish that starts with the letter X
21. Xantic Sargo (Anisotremus davidsonii)
Xantic Sargo also known as California Sargo. The Xantic Sargo is found in the Eastern Central Pacific area and can grow up to 50cm long.
22. Xestus Sabretooth Blenny (or Xestus Fangblenny, Petroscirtes xestus)
Discovered near their burrows over shallow sand and weedy regions of reef pads and shallow lagoons.
23. Xingu Corydoras (Corydoras xinguensis)
The Xingu (Corydoras xinguensis) is a tropical freshwater fish. It was first discovered in South America but now can be found in the upper Xingu River basin in Brazil.
24. Xingu River Ray (Potamotrygon leopoldi)
The Xingu River ray, white-blotched waterway stingray, or spotted stingray (Potamotrygon leopoldi) is a type of freshwater fish in the family Potamotrygonidae.
25. XL Spring Tui Chub (subspecies of Tui Chub, Gila bicolor oregonensis)
XL Spring Tui chub is found around 3.56 miles north of Lak. Abert and around 17 miles southwest of Hutton Spring.
26. X-ray Tetra (additionally referred to as X-ray fish: Pristella maxillaris)
The X-Ray Tetra is a little and beautiful Fish that is found in the Amazon river coastal waters in South America. The X-Ray Tetra is known as Golden Pristella Tetra and the Water Goldfinch because of the faint golden coloration of their clear skin.
27. Xanthichthys (genus of triggerfishes, 6 species)
Xanthichthys is a type of triggerfishes. Xanthichthys commonly found in the western Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, and the Pacific Ocean.
28. Xenaploactis (genus of velvetfishes, 3 species)
Xenaploactis is normally found in the western Pacific Ocean and the eastern Indian Ocean.
29. Xenentodon (genus of needlefishes, 2 species
Xenentodon is a type of needlefish found in freshwater and saline living spaces in South and Southeast Asia.
30. Xenichthys (genus of grunts, three species)
Xenichthys is a type of grunts. Xenichthys is normally found in the Eastern Pacific Ocean.
31. Xenisthmus (genus of wrigglers, nine species, in own family Xenishtmidae)
They are known as wrigglers and live-in reefs and among rubbles deep in the Indo-Pacific ocean. Xenisthmus is the most notable class in the family Xenisthmidae.
32. Xenistius (genus of grunts, 2 species)
Xenistius is a type of grunts. Xenistius lives the Eastern Pacific Ocean.
33. Xenobalistes (genus of triggerfish, 2 species)
Xenobalistes is a kind of triggerfish. Xenobalistes live in the Western Central Pacific Ocean.
34. Xenobarbus loveridgei (cyprinid from Lake Victoria)
Xenobarbus loveridgei is a type of cyprinid fish. it is found in Lake Victoria. It is the only species in its sort. The species is uncommon and just known from a couple of examples.
35. Xenocephalus (genus of stargazers, 6 species)
Xenocephalus is a kind of bony fish from the family Uranoscopidae, the stargazers. They live in the Indo-Pacific region.
36. Xenocharax (genus of characins, 2 species)
Xenocharax is a type of freshwater fish. in the family Distichodontidae. Xenocharax lives in the Congo River Basin in Middle Africa
37. Xenochromis hecqui (a cichlid endemic to Lake Tanganyika)
It is basically found at profundities of 6–100 m (20–328 ft), yet has been recorded fairly more profound, even in waters for all intents and purposes without oxygen.
Invertebrates Animals That Start With X
38. Xami Hairstreak (butterfly, Callophrys xami)
Xami hairstreak or green hairstreak is a butterfly. It was discovered by Tryon Reakirt in 1867.
39. Xantus’ Swimming Crab (Portunus xantusii)
Xantus’ Swimming Crab is strikingly not quite the same as local crabs, and lives basically in sandy or sloppy territories, for example, eelgrass beds and mudflats.
40. Xeniades Swallowtail (butterfly, Mimoides xeniades)
Xeniades Swallowtail is a butterfly that is related to the family Papilionidae. It lives in southern Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia, and Peru.
41. Xenoclea Longwing (butterfly, Heliconius melpomene xenoclea)
Xenoclea Longwing is similar looking to Heliconius erato which is smaller in size due to Batesian mimicry within their species.
42. Xenocrates Leafwing (butterfly, Polygrapha xenocrates)
There are 4 species in the family of Polygrapha, which are, cyanea, suprema, tyrianthina, and xenocrates. All have enigmatic undersides that keep them in disguise when they are resting on tree trunks or on the ground among leaf litter.
43. Xeric Ambersnail (terrestrial snail, Succinea indiana)
The shell is extremely thin, entirely praise, and yellow-brown colored with reddish lines. Minute development lines and wrinkles are available.
44. Xuthus Swallowtail (butterfly, Papilio xuthus)
Xuthus swallowtail, is a yellow-hued, medium to huge sized swallowtail butterfly. Xuthus swallowtail is found in upper East Asia, Northern Myanmar, Southern China, Taiwan, the Korean Peninsula, Japan, Siberia and the Hawaiian Islands
45. Xenopsylla (genus of fleas)
Xenopsylla (family of bugs), otherwise called the tropical rodent bug, is a parasite of rodents. principally of the class Rattus, and is an essential vector for bubonic plague and murine typhus.
Dinosaurs that begin with X
46. Xenoceratops (genus of Centrosarinae dinosaur)
Xenoceratops (signifying “alien horned face”) is a sort of centrosaurine ceratopsid dinosaur. Xenoceratops known from the Late Cretaceous (center Campanian phase) of Alberta, Canada.
47. Xenoposeidon (Neosauropoda dinosaur)
Xenoposeidon is a family of rebbachisaurid sauropod dinosaur from the Early Cretaceous of England.Xenoposeidon lived around 140 million years ago.
48. Xenotarsosaurus (genus of Abelisauridae dinosaur)
Xenotarsosaurus is a type of abelisaurid theropod dinosaur. Abelisauridae dinosaur lived during the Late Cretaceous of Argentina.
49. Xiaosaurus (genus of Ornithischia dinosaur)
Xiaosaurus was a little, softly constructed dinosaur. It was a plant-eater. and a quick runner. It was little and reptile like, around 5 feet (1.5 m) long. It walked on two long legs, had four-toed feet, five-fingered hands, short arms, a long, firm, pointed tail, an adaptable neck, and a little head with enormous eyes. It had leaf-formed cheek teeth
50. Xiaotingia (genus of Anchiornithid dinosaur)
Xiaotingia is a sort of anchiornithid theropod dinosaur from early Late Jurassic deposits of western Liaoning, China.
51. Xingxiulong (genus of Sauropodiform dinosaur)
Xingxiulong is a type of bipedal sauropodiform from the Early Jurassic of China.
52. Xinjiangovenator (genus of Maniraptora dinosaur)
Xinjiangovenator is a type of coelurosaurian dinosaurs. It is part of Maniraptora, which lived during the Early Cretaceous time frame.
53. Xinjiangtitan (genus of Mamenchisauridae dinosaur)
Xinjiangtitan is a type of mamenchisaurid sauropod from the Middle Jurassic Qiketai Formation in Piqan County of Xinjiang, northwestern China.
54. Xiongguanlong (genus of Tyrannosauroidea dinosaur)
Xiongguanlong is a family of tyrannosauroid dinosaurs.
55. Xixiposaurus (genus of Sauropodomorpha dinosaur)
Xixiposaurus is a type of sauropodomorph dinosaur which lived in China during the early Jurassic.
56. Xuanhuaceratops (genus of Chaoyangsauridae dinosaur)
Xuanhuaceratops was a plant-eater. It lived in the Jurassic time frame and found in Asia. Its fossils have been found in Hebei (China). Xuanhuaceratops is a type of dinosaur from the Late Jurassic Period (dated to 150.8-145.5 million years ago).
We hope you enjoyed the list of animals that start with X above. Were you familiar with any of the animals? Can you think of other animals that start with X? Do comment below.
Related : 49 Riddles for teens