Here are some creative writing prompts for high school students that will tap into their imagination.
The creative writing prompts for high school children can also be used as part of their daily journaling pages.
It will enable them to reflect on their feelings and emotions.
The creative writing prompts for high school students also encourages children to think about their own values and belief.
It challenges students to think outside the box and be creative.
Creative writing prompts for high school students on self-reflection:
- What is the best thing about being a teenager?
- What is the hardest thing about growing up?
- What do you dream of doing after school?
- Write about someone you admire most growing up?
- Write about a subject that you dislike the most?
- Write about a time you stood for someone else in school?
- What are the qualities that make you a good friend?
- What do you think are the qualities of a good friend?
- What is the most inspiring book you have read recently?
- Write about a time you broke a promise
- Write about a time you felt very embarrassed
- Write about a decision you made that made you feel proud of yourself
- Write 3 things you cannot live without in your life
- What is the best advice someone has ever given you?
- What do you think your life would look like 10 years from now?
- Write down a list of life goals you would like to achieve before you turn 40.
- What do you look for in a partner?
- What is the one thing that you have always been afraid to try?
- If you had $1000000 what would you do with all that money?
- Do you plan to go to college? why or why not?
- Do you think education is important?
- Write down 3 things you are grateful for in your life?
- Write about a time you had to do something very hard.
- Write about a time where you felt like giving up but you kept going instead.
- How do you handle conflict?
- How do you deal with criticism?
- What do you think work-life balance means?
- Write something about your favorite childhood toy.
- Make a bucket list of things you would like to achieve in the next 5, 10, and 15 years.
- List 10 places you would like to visit in the next year.
- Pick a family member and write down something about him/her. Write what you like, admire, and even dislike about him/her.
- Write down family traditions that you would like to change.
- What do you struggle with the most? Write about it.
- Write about someone that is always liked by everyone. Is that even possible? Write down the pressures the person face to constantly be likable.
- If you can meet one person that is dead, who would you like to meet?
- Write about the worst advice someone ever told you about.
- Rewrite the story of Cinderella, from the prince’s point of view.
Fun creative writing prompts for high school:
- Rewrite the story of the 3 little pigs by using the names of people you actually know.
- Write about a time you broke a rule
- Create a how-to manual for something you know how to do very well.
- Write about a place that makes you very happy
- Write about the most interesting that has ever happened in your neighborhood
- Describe the most important lesson your parents thought about you.
- Describe the one thing that makes your family very unique.
- Imagine opening up a new restaurant. What would you name it? Create a short story about the founder of the restaurant. Now write down the menu of the restaurant.
- If you have a button that can reset a decision you made in the past. What decision would you like to redo?
- When we use the word “fat” we think of it as being negative. Write a short story where the word “fat” is being used for something positive.
Funny writing prompts for high school:
- Choose a song or lyric and change the word “the” of the lyrics into “hope”. What does the lyric sound like?
- Write a funny school chant using the mascot of your school.
- Write down the first 10 words that come to your mind. Now create a sentence out of it.
- Open your news feed and write about the first post that comes up.
- Pick a video game name, for example, ‘Fortnite’. Now create a poem using that title.
- Write one line that would describe your high school.
- Write about the funniest joke you have heard in school?
- Your town hired you as the new mayor. What is the first thing you would address as the mayor?
Creative writing assignments for high school:
- Write a letter to your 70-year-old self.
- Is social media building connections or destroying it?
- Imagine being Marc Zuckerberg, how would you change Facebook?
- A giant robot is now controlling human beings. The only way to stop this from happening is to erase his memory. How would you do this?
- Your parents decided to move to Mars. How do you think life would look like in space?
- The world decided that we will now be one big country. No more border controls. Anyone can travel in and out as they like. What do you think the world would look like if this continues for 10 years?
Journal prompts for high school creative writing:
- What is the best thing that happened today?
- What is the funniest joke you heard today?
- What/who made you laugh today?
- Who/What made you smile today?
- What are you thankful for today?
- If you could change something about today, what would it be?
- How did the weather make you feel today?
- Write down one new fact you learned today?
- What is the most challenging thing you had today?
- What did you today that made you closer to your goals?
- What is the worst thing that happened today?
- Did you read or see anything that made you upset today?
Nonfiction creative writing prompts for high school:
- Do you think climate change is real? What should big companies do to tackle climate change?
- If God exists, why is there so much suffering in the world?
- Is social media distorting people’s views and beliefs?
- If technology creating a divide in families?
- Are robots replacing jobs?
- Do you think education will shift towards online learning permanently?
- What do you like most about online learning?
- Is your school addressing cyberbullying appropriately?
- Is your school doing enough to tackle issues of internet safety?
- If you become the education minister of your country, what would you change about the current education system?
Creative fiction writing prompts for high school students:
- “That’s not what I mean”. Write a story with that line in it.
- I was walking home from school when suddenly I heard a loud noise coming in from the woodlands. I stepped deeper into the forest but could not find anyone but just footprints. Complete the story.
- I was sleeping and suddenly I heard some noise coming from the room next door. I saw shadows from the bottom of my door. I heard the sounds of footsteps. Complete the story
- My eyes were shut. I dreamed that I have landed on the moon. There was a big party happening on the moon. But what I found when I got there surprised me. Complete the story.
- Imagine you have been an astronaut, your mission is over and it’s time to go back to earth. As you are about to enter the rocket ship, you heard a loud bang. You turned around and saw earth explode. What happens next?
- You woke up one day and suddenly found yourself in the year 2100. Describe what the world looks like.
We hope you have enjoyed the creative writing prompts for high school. Don’t forget to share it with your friends and family.