As a dog lover, how much do you know about your canine friends? Like, can you tell different breeds apart? Or, do you know why the Belgian Malinois is beloved by the SEAL teams? If you think you’ve got enough dog knowledge, you are in the right place to test it with our dog trivia quiz. Even if you don’t know much about dogs, it’s still a good reason to be here because at the end of it, you will learn interesting facts about man’s best friend.
These dog trivia questions are ideal for quiz nights with your friends and family—physically or on Zoom. It will be a fantastic way to show them what you got, learn and share facts about one of the most popular pets.
Easy Dog trivia
- How many permanent teeth do normal adult dogs have? 42 (Puppies have 28 teeth, known as primary or deciduous.)
- What is the name given to a group of dogs? A pack
- Which dog breed is the most prone to having a black tongue? Chow Chow
- Which breed originated in Newfoundland, Canada, and was once known as St. John’s Newfoundland? Labrador Retriever
- The world’s oldest dog (verified) was an Australian Cattle Dog known as Bluey. How old was he at the time of death? 29
- What is the other name for the German Shepherd dog? Alsatian
- What are the most common guide dog breeds? German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever
- What is the sense that is most prominent in dogs? Smell
- Name the group of dogs to be first registered in the American Kennel Club (ACK). The Sporting Group ( These were the first dogs or the original “charter breeds” and include Cocker Spaniel, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Irish Water Spaniel, Clumber Spaniel, Sussex Spaniel, English Setter, Gordon Setter, Irish Setter, and Pointer.)
- What is another name for the African hunting dog? African wild dog/Cape hunting dog/Painted dog
- These dogs were initially bred to aid fishermen in fishing( pulling the nets) and as lifeguards. Which breed are they? Newfoundland
Dog trivia for kids
- What is the name given to a group of puppies? A litter
- Apart from panting, dogs also sweat through which part of the body as part of their heat release? Paws
- Amongst all the dog breeds, which is the tallest dog? Central Asian Shepherd Dog
- Name the smallest dog breed. Chihuahua
- Name the most popular breed of dog in the United States. Labrador Retrievers (According to the ACK, they have been the most popular for a while now.)
- Which dog breed is known to yodel instead of barking? Basenji (The Basenji dogs don’t bark. Rather, they produce a peculiar sound like a yodel.)
- The Labrador comes in three colors. What are the colors known as? Chocolate Lab (brown), Golden Lab (yellow), and Black Lab (black)
- Which was Queen Elizabeth II’s favorite dog breed? Corgi (Her first Corgi was a present from her father in 1933 when he was the Duke of York (before becoming King George VI). Ever since, it became the favorite dog breed of the queen of England.)
- For how long does a pregnant dog take before it delivers puppies? Nine weeks
Related : Food trivia
Movie Dog trivia
Our furry friends do not just stay in the comfort of our homes but have also performed in front of the cameras to grace our screens. Here are some dog trivia about popular dogs on TV.
- What dog breed does Scooby Doo belong to? Great Dane
- What is the name of the TV series that featured a robot dog called K9? Doctor Who
- Which comic movie featured a cat that had a pet dog named Odie? Garfield
- In the TV series Lassie, what was the breed of the dog Lassie? A Rough collie
- Dug is the name of a dog in which Disney movie? Up
- In the movie Legally Blond, what is the dog breed of Bruiser? Chihuahua
- What is the name of the pug in Men in Black? Frank
- What is the name of The Simpsons family’s beloved pet dog? Santa’s Little Helper
- Slinky is the name of a dog in which animation movie? The Toy Story
- What is the name of the Golden Retriever in Full House? Comet
- What is the breed of Marley, the dog in the movie Marley and Me? Labrador Retriever
- What was the name of John Wick’s puppy that got killed, causing him to go on a revenge killing spree? Daisy
- What is the name of Mickey Mouse’s pet dog? Pluto
- Brian is the pet dog in which animated comedy series? Family Guy
- What is Scooby-Doo’s nephew known as? Scrappy-Doo
Dog breed trivia question
Dogs come in various breeds. Some are almost similar in appearance, and some are very different from each other in size and appearance. These dog trivia questions touch on the different dog breeds.
- Name the dog breed initially bred in Germany but is now famous for being a guard dog. Doberman
- This breed of dog was used for hunting and protection from wolves. Irish Wolfhound
- Name the dog breed known to be a herding dog for protecting sheep and originates from the islands north of Scotland. Shetland Sheepdog
- Name the fastest breed of dog. It was initially used as a hunting dog. The Greyhound (So fast it can beat a cheetah in a long–distance race)
- According to the FCI(Fédération Cynologique Internationale), what is the exact number of dog breeds worldwide? 360 breeds of dogs
- The original monopoly game has a dog as a playing piece. What is the breed of the dog? Scottish Terrier
- Which dog breed is known for having the longest ears among other dogs? Basset Hound
- Which country is the original home of the dog breed called the Great Dane? Germany
- Which dog breed resembles wolves, has blue eyes and thick fur, and is popular for pulling sleds in snowy areas? (Siberian) Husky
- Where does the Chow chow come from? China
- Where do Chihuahuas originate from? Mexico
Famous Dog trivia questions
- President Obama was known to have two popular Portuguese water dogs. What were their names? Bo and Sunny
- In Elvis Presley’s song, “Hound Dog,” the dog never catches which animal? Rabbit
- The first dog to make a space orbit around the earth did so in 1957. What was the name of the dog? Laika
- Dorothy in “The Wizard of Oz” kept a dog. What was the dog’s name? Toto
- In 1966, a dog helped recover the stolen World Cup Trophy. What was the name of this dog? Pickles
- Only one United States president in about a hundred years did not own a dog while in the White House. Who is he? Donald Trump
- Name the dog breed is considered holy in China. Pekinese
- Who let the dogs out? Baha Men
- Which dog was Loveable Wallace’s sidekick? Gromit
- Slinky from Toy Story is which breed of dog? Dachshund
- Snowy is the dog from Tintin. What is snowy’s breed? Wire Fox Terrier
- Which musical group sang the popular song, “The dog days are over?” Florence and the Machine
- Which musical artist popularised the hit single, “How much is the Doggie in the Window?” Pattie Page
- Sony made a robot dog, releasing it in 1999. What was its name? Aibo
- When the Titanic sank, how many dogs survived? 3
Fun dog facts
- The dog was the first animal to be domesticated by man.
- A dog can hear almost four times more than humans and can smell between 1,000 to 10,000 better than us!
- In Greek mythology, Cerberus is the name of the multi-headed dog that stood guard at the gates of the underworld, preventing the dead from escaping. Cerberus is also referred to as the hound of Hades.
- Queen Elizabeth II, the longest reigning monarch of England, was a dog lover; her favorite was Corgis. Amazingly, since 1952, she has owned more than 30 of them.
- Dalmatian puppies are born completely white, and their spots develop as they grow.
- Bloodhounds have one of the most accurate senses of smells, so much so that their tracking can be used as proof in a court of law.
- A black Newfoundland dog named Rigel was acknowledged for saving some people’s lives during the sinking of the Titanic.
- Traditionally, the Labrador retriever was crossed with the Golden Retriever to produce some of the best guide dogs. This was a result of mixing the excellent traits of the two breeds.
- African Hunting Dogs are wild animals and are not related to domestic dogs. In fact, they are more closely related to wolves than dogs.
- The Belgian Malinois or Belgian Shepherd is the most preferred dog by the SEAL Teams. This is because they are fierce dogs known for their stealth, intelligence, loyalty, and agility.
- All dogs can interbreed. Despite their varying sizes and physical appearance, all domestic dogs are able to interbreed normally.
If you have learned a thing or two and had fun with our dog trivia, share with your fellow dog lovers so they can have a pawsome time too.
Was this helpful?
Good job! Please give your positive feedback
How could we improve this post? Please Help us.