Since fairies are imaginary, there is no limit to how you can create them in your storytelling. However, like most famous fairy tales, try to make them lovely and enchanting to your audience.
Here are some fairy tale ideas for your writers’ workshop or writing centers that make a good fairy tale theme. Such story prompts can be a perfect activity for making reluctant writers write great stories.
- A happy ending that will have readers smiling
- Magical world and magical creatures but relatable to real-life situations
- Main characters, villains, and witches
- A conflict of interest brings a plot twist to the story.
Fairy tale writing prompts for high school students
Here are a few fairy tale writing prompts that can offer high school students much writing support.
- Get dressed for a masquerade ball to get into the castle and warn the prince about a wicked witch. What will you tell the prince? You have a magic wand; will you help the prince escape danger?
- Write about the moral stories one can learn from Hansel and Gretel’s fairy tale.
- Did you believe in the tooth fairy story while growing up? Write a story about what led you to stop believing in them.
- An evil queen happens to be the jealous stepmother to a handsome prince. She turned him into a rat. The spell can only be broken when the prince finds true love and gets a kiss. Describe his life in the castle’s tunnels and how he will find true love.
Fairy tale writing prompts for first-grade children
Fairy tales are the best stories for small children as they blossom in the world of imagination. Every kid loves to have an opportunity to create their best magical world. Below are some great fairy tale writing prompts that can help with kids and can be fun writing.
- Write a story about your favourite fairy tale.
- Peter Pan is your friend, and he tells you about some evil people who want to steal a magical flower that is guarding his forest. What kind of adventure would you and Peter Pan have?
- Snow white wants to spend a day with you; how will you spend the time with her, what activities would you two do, and what places would you visit?
- As a beautiful little princess, you have been visited by a fairy godmother and asked to make five wishes; what will you wish for and why?
- Write a story about Cinderella. What makes her beautiful and kind? Who are some of her friends?
Twisted Fairy tale writing prompts
If you would like a few fairy tale writing prompts with a twist for your next story, here are some tips that you can use that will make you dive deeper into your art of storytelling to have your readers in awe next time.
- Jack, the prince, is a giant king who happens to reach the land of the giants in the sky after using the magic beans, and you are sent to rescue him. Upon reaching, you realize he is planning to destroy the human world. How will you stop him?
- Share a short story about how the wolf plans and convinces Little Red Riding Hood to go into the forest and swallow her before she is rescued.
- Imagine you and your best friends being Hansel and Gretel. Write about the problems you will go through against the evil witch and how you overcome them.
- A witch uses a portion that makes all the grains in the kingdom poisonous. What could have led her to do this, and how would you convince her to reverse it?
Fairy tale ideas for an English assignment
Here are some more ideas for your fairy tale writing prompts
- What is your favourite fairy tale story and character? Write about the moral lessons you learn from your favourite fairy tales.
- You encounter an injured dove and nurse it back to good health. And it happens to have magic and can grant you three wishes. Describe what you’ll wish for and why
- After the kingdom outlaws all practice of dark magic, witches decide to plot against the kingdom. How will you defend a kingdom against witches plotting revenge as a royal guard?
- You enter an enchanted forest to draw water from the well of life. What would have made you undertake such a daring thing? What is your experience there?
- You are the gingerbread man for a day; write a story of how you will convince the wolf not to eat you.
The above fairy tale writing prompts will help you come up with different fairy tale ideas for great fantasy stories.
As a tutor, you can adopt picture prompts. This is one of the best ways to initiate some great story elements for your tales. Remember, don’t limit your imagination when writing your fairy tale story.
Was this helpful?
Good job! Please give your positive feedback
How could we improve this post? Please Help us.