Secret conversation in messenger allows two people to chat and talk in a private space, that cannot be viewed by anyone else. This feature is available to all Facebook users.
The feature is encrypted and ensures that no one can open up the conversations without a passkey.
In this blog, we will go into more detail on what is a secret conversation in messenger, and how it works.
What is a secret conversation in Messenger?
- It is an end-to-end encrypted message that has a timer on it. Once the time is up the messages will self-destruct
- Only people who are in chat are able to see the messages. Even Facebook and law enforcement cannot access the conversation
- The messages can only be read on the device that you choose to read it. Once it has been read, it cannot be opened in another device. For example, if you have read the message on your mobile phone, you cannot reopen it on your laptop.
- Using the secret conversation on messenger you can set how long the messages will stay. For instance, setting a timer for 5 minutes and then the messages will disappear.
Secret conversation In Messenger Age-Requirement:
The secret conversation is for users above the age of 13 years old.
If you have younger children you should encourage them to use Facebook Messenger for kids instead.
Do check out the list below for more options.
How do you find secret conversations in Messenger?
You will need to update Messenger to it’s latest version to view secret conversations in messenger.
Here is how you can start a secret conversation :
- Open Messenger
- Click on “Secret” at the top right corner of the screen
- Click on “New Message”
- Choose who you would like to message
- Set a timer for the messages to self-destruct. You can choose as little as 30 seconds up to 24 hours.
- Secret conversations are available to use on the Messenger app on IOS and Android devices.
- Secret conversations will only show up on the device you choose to set it.
Follow the steps in the video below to set up secret conversations in messenger :
How to tell if someone has used secret conversations in messenger?
If you send a message to someone using the secret conversation on messenger, the other person will know that this conversation is private.
There will a message bubble that would notify the other person.
There will also be an image that says ‘Encrypted from one device to the other’. This will inform the other person that the message is using the secret conversation chat on messenger.
psst, don’t forget to :Download the PERSONALISED THE GROWTH MINDSET KIT helping children to stay calm, confident, and grounded even when growing up around social media.
How to view secret conversation history?
Once the conversation is gone, it can never be retrieved.
It is also possible to have a conversation on the normal Facebook Messenger chat as well as a secret conversation with the same person.
There is a lock button on the Secret Conversation, and a user can click on the lock button to unlock it and turn it into a normal Facebook Messenger conversation.
The secret conversation can be deleted from the Facebook Messenger app. However, deleting your conversation does not mean that the other person has deleted their chat.
How to change secret conversation device?
You will need to start a new secret conversation when using a new device.
Old conversations cannot be viewed when using a new device.
How to delete Secret Conversations?
Click on the profile icon and choose Secret Conversations. Then click on Delete Secret Conversations and tap on Delete all.
However, do note that while the conversation is gone on your device, it may still be available on your friend’s device, unless your friend deletes it as well.
Secret Conversation Key :
When using Secret Conversation, both users will have a passkey. This is used to verify the messages are encrypted.
This is an optional process that can be used by users to compare passkeys.
To access your passkey, open a conversation, click on the name of the person you are chatting too and click on Device Keys.
The end-to-end encryption of secret conversations makes it safe to use. However, do keep in mind that leaks and hacks can always happen in the online world.
Parents guide on secret conversation on messenger:
- Talk to your child about the dangers of using secret conversations and the possibility of their conversation being screenshot and shared with others.
- Inform your child how to block people they do not want to chat to.
- Encourage your child to talk to you in case someone said something that made them upset or uncomfortable
ou can check the Growth Mindset Kit designed to raise confident kids growing up with tech
Other Facts About Secret Conversation On Messenger :
- All conversations can still be screenshot, which poses a threat to the other user.
- The secret conversation is encrypted which means that it cannot be accessed by the intelligence service or even Facebook employees
- A timer is used for messages to self-destruct itself.
Before you go, don’t forget to check out the PERSONALISED growth-mindset kit you can use at home or in the classroom.