Here is some fun adult writing prompts that will help you get those creative juices flowing.
The adult writing prompts are divided into several categories. There are some that can be added into your daily journal to get you reflecting on your thoughts and feelings on that day.
There are imaginative adult writing prompts that are more suitable for those looking for ideas on something to write about. For example, those facing writer’s block and are looking for inspiration.
The adult writing prompts will help you tap into your imagination and will help you think outside the box.
Adult writing prompts about life:
- What is your biggest regret?
- What has been your biggest achievement?
- Do you practice self-care?
- What do you do to take care of our soul?
- When was the last time you did something fun for yourself?
- Write down 3 negative things you should stop telling yourself.
- Write a list of positive affirmations you should say to yourself every day.
- What is the best compliment you have ever received?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What are the things that are going on well in your life?
- Who are the people you should see that gives you negative vibes?
- How does social media make you feel?
- Do you feel like you need social validation?
- How comfortable are you in making decisions for yourself?
- Write a list of people you would rely on when things are not going well on your side?
- Are you living the life you dreamt of?
- Write a letter to your future self.
- Write a letter to your soul, describing what a beautiful person you are.
- Write a letter to someone to thank them for everything they have done for you.
- Write down fun things you can tell yourself.
- Write a list of things that makes you happy.
- If you can say something to your younger self, what would you say?
- Write down the last time you screwed up.
- Write down positive things you have changed in the last 5 years.
- What are you most grateful for in your life?
- Write a letter to yourself when you accept who you are and you are proud of your achievements.
- Write down things you love most about yourself.
- Write down the flaws that make you perfect just the way you are.
- Write down ways you can deal with your insecurities
Relationship writing prompts :
- Are you happy in your current relationship?
- Does money buy love?
- What do you look for in a partner?
- Do you feel secure in your current relationship?
- What makes you feel loved?
- What did you do today to express live?
- Do you believe that your partner is your biggest advocate?
- Do you feel accepted by your partner?
- When was the last time you fell in love?
- Do you see your partner as your best friend?
- How do your friends feel about your partner?
- How comfortable are you disclosing your deepest secret to your partner?
- When was the last time you and your partner did something fun?
- Are you excited about the future?
- When was the last time you had a heart-to-heart conversation with someone?
- Are you kind to yourself?
- Are you and your partner supportive of each other’s dreams and goals?
Daily adult writing prompts:
- What are you thankful for today?
- Did you try something new today? What was it? How did it make you feel?
- Did you challenge yourself today?
- Were you kind to someone today?
- What made you laugh today?
- Did you read something that made you upset today?
- Did you see anything interesting on social media today?
- What is the first thing you did when you woke up in the morning?
- Did you spend your money on something silly today?
- What made you smile today?
- what made you happy today?
- Did you learn something new today?
Imaginative writing prompts for adults :
- The last time I saw her was…….
- I opened a chapter of a book when……
- The doorbell rang but suddenly…..
- I was walking down the forest and heard………
- It was Halloween night, not a soul in sight, I heard footsteps……
- I was in an operation theatre when my eyes opened………
- I woke up in the morning and could not remember who I was until someone entered the room and……………
- My deepest secret…
- I discovered a letter……..
- I told the truth but…….
- I was hiding behind the door when……..
- My mother always advised me to……
- Every time I try I keep falling until……
- I think….
- I wish….
- I saw…..
Fantasy prompts :
- The magician called me on stage and made me disappear. But, he could not bring me back to life. What happens next?
- I woke up one morning in the body of my father. What happens next?
- I was running to work when I saw the most beautiful girl smile back at me. What happens next?
- I got an email saying that I have been promoted as the CEO of my company. But, I accidentally deleted the email and no one believed me after that. What happens next?
- I got a letter saying that an uncle I have never met has left me a fortune. However, his 3 sons did not want me to have the fortune. What happens next?
- I woke up in the morning to find that animals started talking and humans were barking. What happens next?
- I was peeing when I suddenly got sucked into the toilet bowl. What happens next?
- I discovered a treasure in my back garden. Except that it is a dangerous treasure. I could be charged with terrorism for possessing this treasure. What happens next?
- I woke up one morning and found out that there is a pandemic happening in the world. What happens next?
- I dreamt that I was running for my life. However, I opened and realized that it is not a dream. What happens next?
Writing challenge for adults:
Make a story out of the 3 words below:
- Sun, flower, bird
- Printer, tea, window
- Tree, leaves, branches,
- Playground, children, axe
- Tattoo, gun, bunker
- Protest, animals, taxi
- Island, writer, shooting star
- Ghost, credit card, pills
- Coffin, fire, plants
- Horse, Red dress, storm