Writing is a beautiful form of expression, but sometimes, facing a blank page can be daunting. However, with the right prompt, it can become a fun and engaging journey. Here, is a list of adult writing prompts that cater to various interests and writing styles.
These prompts are designed for adults but can also be tweaked for high school students. So, grab your favorite book, find a cozy corner, and let’s get writing!
Deep writing prompts for adults
Delve into the depths of your soul, confront your memories, and address some of life’s most significant questions with these adult writing prompts.
- Write about the first time you truly understood the meaning of love.
- Describe a short story based on the most important thing that happened during your school days.
- Discuss the best thing that ever came out of a bad situation.
- Imagine you’re having a phone call with your younger self. What advice would you give?
- Recall a memorable event from your own life that shaped who you are today.
- Craft a love story that starts and ends in a grocery store.
- Describe the main character of your life’s story. How have they evolved?
- Reflect on a daily practice that’s changed your life.
- Write about the most memorable thing that happened in your last job.
- Describe a personal essay on your morning routine and its significance.
- Craft a tale about meeting your soul mate in the most unexpected place.
- Recall an old friend who drifted away and the impact they had on your life.
- Describe your thoughts when looking at your favorite piece of art.
- Write about the most impactful public figure in your life.
- Explore the emotions of receiving a life-altering phone call.
- How has social media changed the way you perceive daily lives?
- Recall your most memorable works of visual art and their impact.
- Write a journal entry about confronting your greatest fear.
- Detail a single day in your life if everything went in reverse.
- Describe the thought process behind your life’s most significant decision.
Nonfiction writing prompts for adults
Discover intriguing real-world experiences and dive into personal introspection with these nonfiction prompts.
- Write about your favorite book and its impact on your worldview.
- Describe a student opinion question that made you re-evaluate your beliefs.
- Explore the mental health benefits of a daily journaling habit.
- Compare your favorite television shows from childhood to adulthood.
- Discuss the influence of video games on modern-day culture.
- Reflect on the most memorable event involving family members.
- Write a review of the best book you’ve read this year.
- Explore a historical event through the eyes of a bystander.
- Detail your experience visiting a famous painting or art exhibition.
- Write about your favorite joke and its origin.
- Discuss the significance of a public figure who’s changed societal norms.
- Write a personal essay on the impact of social media posts in shaping public opinion.
- Describe your first time visiting a great place and its lasting memory.
- Detail a real-world situation where understanding passive voice was crucial.
- Explore the relationship between your daily lives and convenience store visits.
- Write about a memorable event related to times article or blog posts.
- Discuss the changing dynamics of family members as time passes.
- Reflect on long term goals vs. short-term pleasures.
- Describe your experience attending or watching a silly sports event.
- Detail your perspective on the most transformative science fiction novel.
Poetry writing prompts for adults
Celebrate the beauty and rhythm of words with these poetic prompts.
- Craft a poem about the colors of a sunset based on a color palette.
- Describe the symphony of a bustling New York street.
- Pen a sonnet about your morning routine.
- Write about the dance of old friends meeting after decades.
- Detail the ebb and flow of emotions on a park bench.
- Capture the essence of a rainy day in a haiku.
- Express the journey of finding a soul mate.
- Describe the serenity of a quiet grocery store aisle.
- Write a poem about the allure of a pirate ship on the horizon.
- Reflect on the feelings invoked by a famous painting.
- Craft a piece about a fleeting moment of beauty in daily lives.
- Capture the nostalgia of high school memories.
- Express the symphony of nature in a serene park.
- Detail the gentle waves of emotion during a memorable phone call.
- Reflect on the feelings when stepping out of your comfort zone.
- Write about the serendipity of finding a magic potion in a convenience store.
- Capture the allure of an old bookstore in the heart of New York.
- Craft a poem on the whispers of trees during a windy day.
- Describe the harmony between mankind and nature.
- Express the heartbeats of two strangers meeting for the first time.
Creative writing prompts for adults
Awaken your imagination and craft fascinating tales with these prompts.
- Pen a story where the main character finds a magic potion in a grocery store.
- Explore a world where people can buy artistic talent.
- Describe a day in the life of a public figure’s pet parrot.
- What happens when your favorite book characters meet in a café?
- Imagine a New York Times headline 50 years from now.
- Dive into a fairy tale where the main character works in a convenience store.
- Write about a pirate ship that sails through clouds.
- Picture a world where video games dictate real-world policies.
- Describe a planet where the daily practice involves changing colors.
- Craft a tale about a detective who speaks only in poems.
- Imagine a day where every phone call predicts a future event.
- What if your reflection one day started giving you life advice?
- Dive into a story where the most important things are memories traded like currency.
- Pen a narrative where New York is a giant floating city.
- Explore a world where every park bench teleports you to a different genre of reality.
- Imagine a place where every morning routine involves a dance.
- Describe a universe where every writer’s blank page becomes a real-world landscape.
- What happens when a regular visit to a convenience store sends you back in time?
- Dive into a realm where people rent dreams instead of movies.
- Craft a story where each random word spoken dictates the weather.
Comedy writing prompts
Add a touch of humor and whimsy to your stories with these comical prompts.
- What happens when a vampire works the night shift at a grocery store?
- Describe a pirate ship that gets lost and ends up at a New York harbor.
- Imagine the chaos when historical figures join a modern high school.
- Write about a fairy tale where the dragon is terrified of princesses.
- Pen a story about a wizard who can only conjure up random word definitions.
- Describe the hilarity when aliens land and think traffic lights are Earth’s leaders.
- Write about a superhero whose power is changing any food to broccoli.
- Picture a world where every phone call randomly changes languages.
- What happens when a time traveler is also terribly forgetful?
- Imagine a detective who can only speak in passive voice.
- Write about a convenience store where everything is inconvenient.
- Describe the misadventures of a gnome who’s afraid of gardens.
- What if the characters of your favorite book went on a group therapy session?
- Picture a social media platform for pets. What would the posts be like?
- Write about the day Earth received a one-star review from Galactic Yelp.
- Imagine a yoga class for fictional villains. What poses would they do?
- Explore the chaos when Cupid’s arrows start causing platonic love.
- Picture a New York where people commute by kangaroo.
- Write about a reality where sarcasm doesn’t exist.
- Describe a school day at a high school for retired superheroes.
Daily Writing Prompts for Adults
Writing daily is a fabulous way to build a writing habit, fine-tune your skills, and explore different forms of writing. This list is meant to be your starting point for new creative writing ideas, regardless of your writing style or writing process.
- Write a journal prompt about the importance of writing practice in your life.
- Craft a short story where the main character discovers a hidden room in their house filled with great books.
- Explore student opinion questions surrounding the latest political happenings and how it affects the real world.
- Create an interesting story that starts with the phrase, “It was a good thing I…”
- Dive into a horror writing prompt where the villain is something incredibly mundane but terrifying.
- Develop a fiction writing prompt based on your favorite historical fiction settings.
- Think of a great way to propose someone and turn it into an eloquent speech.
- What’s the next story on your mind? Write an outline or a quick draft.
- Imagine a place that’s universally accepted as a good place for creative journaling.
- Write a short essay on what it takes to be a better writer, touching on your own experiences.
- Choose a random topic and write a related times article for your blog.
- What’s the most beautiful mind you can conceive of? Describe it in detail.
- List down some short stories ideas that involve parallel universes and write the one that intrigues you most.
- Create an exercise to help other writers hone their creative writing skills.
- Pick one of the great books you’ve read and reimagine it from a new perspective.
- Write a prompt that offers a fun way to approach historical fiction.
- Craft a list of prompts that engage high school students in meaningful conversations.
- Explore your writing style by writing three different genres of short stories.
- Pen down your ideal writing process that helps you stay focused and creative.
- Dive into fantasy writing prompts, featuring a world where dreams are the currency.
Adult writing prompts about life:
- What is your biggest regret?
- What has been your biggest achievement?
- Do you practice self-care?
- What do you do to take care of our soul?
- When was the last time you did something fun for yourself?
- Write down 3 negative things you should stop telling yourself.
- Write a list of positive affirmations you should say to yourself every day.
- What is the best compliment you have ever received?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What are the things that are going on well in your life?
- Who are the people you should see that gives you negative vibes?
- How does social media make you feel?
- Do you feel like you need social validation?
- How comfortable are you in making decisions for yourself?
- Write a list of people you would rely on when things are not going well on your side?
- Are you living the life you dreamt of?
- Write a letter to your future self.
- Write a letter to your soul, describing what a beautiful person you are.
- Write a letter to someone to thank them for everything they have done for you.
- Write down fun things you can tell yourself.
- Write a list of things that makes you happy.
- If you can say something to your younger self, what would you say?
- Write down the last time you screwed up.
- Write down positive things you have changed in the last 5 years.
- What are you most grateful for in your life?
- Write a letter to yourself when you accept who you are and you are proud of your achievements.
- Write down things you love most about yourself.
- Write down the flaws that make you perfect just the way you are.
- Write down ways you can deal with your insecurities
Relationship writing prompts :
- Are you happy in your current relationship?
- Does money buy love?
- What do you look for in a partner?
- Do you feel secure in your current relationship?
- What makes you feel loved?
- What did you do today to express live?
- Do you believe that your partner is your biggest advocate?
- Do you feel accepted by your partner?
- When was the last time you fell in love?
- Do you see your partner as your best friend?
- How do your friends feel about your partner?
- How comfortable are you disclosing your deepest secret to your partner?
- When was the last time you and your partner did something fun?
- Are you excited about the future?
- When was the last time you had a heart-to-heart conversation with someone?
- Are you kind to yourself?
- Are you and your partner supportive of each other’s dreams and goals?
Daily adult writing prompts:
- What are you thankful for today?
- Did you try something new today? What was it? How did it make you feel?
- Did you challenge yourself today?
- Were you kind to someone today?
- What made you laugh today?
- Did you read something that made you upset today?
- Did you see anything interesting on social media today?
- What is the first thing you did when you woke up in the morning?
- Did you spend your money on something silly today?
- What made you smile today?
- what made you happy today?
- Did you learn something new today?
Imaginative writing prompts for adults :
Below are some imaginative adult writing prompts that even high schoolers will enjoy.
- The last time I saw her was…….
- I opened a chapter of a book when……
- The doorbell rang but suddenly…..
- I was walking down the forest and heard………
- It was Halloween night, not a soul in sight, I heard footsteps……
- I was in an operation theatre when my eyes opened………
- I woke up in the morning and could not remember who I was until someone entered the room and……………
- My deepest secret…
- I discovered a letter……..
- I told the truth but…….
- I was hiding behind the door when……..
- My mother always advised me to……
- Every time I try I keep falling until……
- I think….
- I wish….
- I saw…..
Fantasy prompts :
- The magician called me on stage and made me disappear. But, he could not bring me back to life. What happens next?
- I woke up one morning in the body of my father. What happens next?
- I was running to work when I saw the most beautiful girl smile back at me. What happens next?
- I got an email saying that I have been promoted as the CEO of my company. But, I accidentally deleted the email and no one believed me after that. What happens next?
- I got a letter saying that an uncle I have never met has left me a fortune. However, his 3 sons did not want me to have the fortune. What happens next?
- I woke up in the morning to find that animals started talking and humans were barking. What happens next?
- I was peeing when I suddenly got sucked into the toilet bowl. What happens next?
- I discovered a treasure in my back garden. Except that it is a dangerous treasure. I could be charged with terrorism for possessing this treasure. What happens next?
- I woke up one morning and found out that there is a pandemic happening in the world. What happens next?
- I dreamt that I was running for my life. However, I opened and realized that it is not a dream. What happens next?
Writing challenge for adults:
Make a story out of the 3 words below:
- Sun, flower, bird
- Printer, tea, window
- Tree, leaves, branches,
- Playground, children, axe
- Tattoo, gun, bunker
- Protest, animals, taxi
- Island, writer, shooting star
- Ghost, credit card, pills
- Coffin, fire, plants
- Horse, Red dress, storm
Whether you’re a seasoned writer or just starting, a good writing prompt can be a great way to break through the writer’s block. Use the adult writing prompts above to develop your creative writing skills, explore new creative writing ideas, and keep the writing habit alive. Happy writing!
Was this helpful?
Good job! Please give your positive feedback
How could we improve this post? Please Help us.