The creative writing prompts here can be used by children and adults to explore fun writing ideas.
It will also help tap into children’s imagination. Using fantasy and adventure creative writing prompts children can create short stories.
The creative writing prompts have been divided into 5 categories:
- For children
- For middle schoolers
- For high schoolers
- For adults
- Romance writing prompts
- Fantast writing prompts
#1 Creative Writing Prompts for kids:
Combine the 3 narratives below and form a short story containing all three.
- Video game, rocket launch, moon
- Movie, robot, big hair
- Walking caterpillar, battery, grass
- books, Santa Claus, summer
- Tree, swing, buildings
- A baby, airplane, passport
- Tooth fairy, broom, love note
- Camping, wolf, loud scream
- Horoscope, stars, meteor
- Mars, water, big giant hole
- Snake, jungle, waterfall
- Eagle, Clouds, bad landing
- Socks, washing machine, torn into pieces
- Speakers, classroom, big bang
- Puzzles, Italy, totally lost
- Football, stadium, fans
- Painting, Picasso, stolen
- Golf, big hit, emergency ambulance
- Lamp, window frame, sofa
- Flower, ants, pandemic
#2 Creative writing prompts for middle school:
Adventure creative writing prompts:
- You went camping and saw a bear approaching your tent.
- You are stuck in a pirate ship and can’t escape
- A CEO of a company resigned and made you the new CEO.
- You found yourself inside a video game
- You traveled to a new country and lost your passport
- You discovered a hidden treasure in your back garden
- You found one of Picasso painting in your attic
- Write about a character who was born into a rich family but lost all their fortune in one night.
- Write about a painting that was discovered in your home that turns out to be worth a million dollars.
- Write a story about an escape room
- Write a story that begins with the following sentence “I’m afraid this is urgent”.
- Write a story that ends with the following sentence “and the bears were never seen again”.
- You found a message in a bottle with specific directions and instructions. Explain the journey the message took you on.
- Your mom sneaked out of the house in the middle of the night. What happens next?
- Write about a protest that happened recently and how that protest is important to you.
- Write about a boy who tried different things to earn extra money
- You saw a circus and decided to join the troupe. Describe your escape plan
- You have been called by the judge to explain your crime in court. You know what you have done. Explain and justify yourself.
Sci-fi writing prompts:
- The world is now judged based on social media ratings. You discovered your rating score was low. What did you to improve the ratings?
- You need to cycle for 12 hours a day to get electricity. The moment you stop cycling you have to restart. How did you break this pattern?
- An alien spaceship landed in your back garden. They started communicating with you. What happens next?
- You discovered a new planet, but no one believes you. How did you convince the world?
- The sun disappeared for a week and replaced by thunder and darkness. What happened to the world?
- The world froze. Only 1000 people in a train survived. The train have to keep moving because stopping would mean it will freeze.What happened to that 1000 people in the train?
- New VR goggles can transport you back into your childhood. Describe that memory.
Thriller writing prompts:
- You kept running in the jungle, but you are not sure what you are running from. All you know is that you are scared. Describe what happens next.
- Someone broke in to your house in the middle of the night, describe what happens next.
- You were stuck at the museum for one night. Everything came to life.
#3 Creative writing prompts for high school:
- Write about your favorite childhood memory
- Write about the house you grew up in
- Describe the smell in your home
- Write about your favorite family holiday
- Write about your favorite pet and what it means to you
- Write about your favorite season of the year
- Describe what a perfect birthday would be like
- What are you most grateful about in your life?
- Write about how you would introduce yourself in college.
- What do you like most about your family?
- What is the best thing about growing up?
- What is the hardest thing about growing up?
- What will you tell your younger self? What do you wish you would have done differently?
- Write about the happiest day of your life
- What do you miss the most about being a child?
- What are your long term goals?
- What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now?
- What do you need to do to achieve your dream life?
Check out the Awesome Adventure Journal
- How has your childhood shaped the person you are now?
- How does your family influence the decisions you make in your life?
- Who in your home has the biggest influence on you?
- Who do you admire the most in your family?
- Write about the people you depend on in your life.
- If you could change one thing about your childhood what would it be?
- Write about how your family have a good and healthy communication with each other
- What do you think are your biggest strengths?
- What does it mean to have self-confidence?
- How much does physical appearance have an effect on how you feel about yourself?
- Write about a journey you learn while trying to love yourself.
Non-fiction short story :
- Write about a time when you realise you were doing something wrong
- Write about the moment you fought for something you believe in
- Write about a struggle you went through in life
- Write about the happiest moment in your life
- Write about social pressures that you conform too
- Write about social ideas that you wish never existed
- Write about a popular moral dillema faced by the world
- Write about an invention that has high moral values
- Write about the moment you realise your life is not going the way you expected it to be.
Fun writing prompts:
- Write the end of a story
- You received a call from an unknown number that asks you to come to a particular location. What happens next?
- Write about a new recipe using materials never been thought about.
- Write a story about a shark that was trying to save a human being from drowning.
- Write a story in the form of a second person
- Write a story about someone who switched place with an old man
- Write a story that always go back in time
- Write about a character that keeps flying to the sky
- Write a story about something weird that happened on a full moon
- Write a story about Friday the 13th.
- It’s halloween night, not a soul in sight, I hear footsteps, whats that’s coming? Continue the story.
Check out the Personalised Growth Mindset Kit, packed with amazing worksheets, including ways to manage anxiety and helping children develop positive habits.
Health and fitness writing prompts:
- Write about the moment you decide to become healthy
- What does mental wellness mean to you?
- Is digital wellness needed?
- What type of digital detox do you need?
- What keeps your soul nurtured?
- Write about the journay towards mental wellness that you went through
- Write about your bad habits
- Write about food you need to eat more to be healthy
- Write about things you like most about yourself
- Write about what it means to be spiritually in bliss
- When you hear the term ‘meditation’ how does it make you feel?
- Write about toxic things in your life that you should let go of.
Romance and love:
- What does it mean to be in love?
- Can you be happy without being in love?
- Describe the moment you fell in love with someone?
- Write about the journey of finding a soul mate
- Write about the importance of loving yourself
- Write about the time you thought you were in love but you are wrong.
- Write a story about a person who loves someone who never loved them back
- Write about how friendship is important in finding love
- Write a love story about a parent and their child.
- Write a story about sacrifice
- How do you know if you are truly in love?
- Write about a girl who is trying to get the attention of a boy but ended up hurting herself.
- What does it mean to love someone unconditionally?
- Write about a family love story
- Write about your first heart brake
- Write about the biggest struggle you had to overcome
- Write about what you miss the most being single
- Write about the importance of self-love
Check out 101 journal topics
#5 Fantasy writing prompts:
- Write about a character who desperately needs a miracle
- Write about a character who is afraid of living his life. He is afraid to be judged by others and lives in fear of people.
- Write about a character who has magic powers. What can the character do and how does the character use the power to do something good in the world.
- Write a story about two sisters who were inseparable but had to make difficult life choices of being far from each other.
- Your character sailed across the world and found a new island with new species living in it.
- Write about a boy who got a dragon as a neighbour.
- Your character does not have enough food and patience.
- Write about a character who discovered that she is cursed.
- Kindness is the new currency in the world. Write a short story about how people spread kindness to earn more money
- Write a story about a boy who can teleport
- Write a story about a girl who found a magic genie. She could have 3 wishes. What did she wish for?
- Write a story about a boy who broke the internet.
- Write a story about a boy whose nose kept growing when he lied.
- Everyone went missing in your neighborhood. Describe what happens next.
- Write about a character who teaches children about magic
Check out the Awesome Adventure Journal
Was this helpful?
Good job! Please give your positive feedback
How could we improve this post? Please Help us.