In this blog, I will show you how to make slime without borax. The recipe is super easy and fun too.
I love to make homemade slime so my children can be involved in the process of making and preparing it.
The slime recipes here mainly require only 2 ingredients and work perfectly.
The safe slime recipe below is that is made without borax and it sticks to the hand perfectly.
Now I am going to show you how to make slime without a contact solution. But first, let’s go through the different household items you can use to make slime.
Ingredients used in making slime without borax:
Here are some common ingredients used in making slime without borax :
- White Elmer’s Glue.
- Baking Soda.
- Shaving Cream.
- Contact Lens Solution **Important: your brand of contact lens solution must have boric acid and sodium borate in the ingredient list. …
- Liquid Food Coloring to have different colors slime
Now let’s go through different very easy slime recipes.
How to make slime without borax?
1.Easy slime recipe using Shampoo & Shaving cream (without borax and activators) :
You can make a great fluffy slime using a few simple ingredients. This is a basic slime recipe.
- Shaving cream
- Mixing utensils
- Food coloring
- Mixing bowl
- Pour shampoo into a bowl. Start with a small amount ( 2 tablespoons of shampoo) . Add more if you want to make a bigger batch.
- Add shaving cream to the bowl. Approximately 1:1 mixture of shampoo and shaving cream.
- Stir ingredients together.
- Stir until the mixture is consistent in texture.
- Add salt. If you are going with the initial test of two tablespoons, you will want about a teaspoon of salt.
- Add drops of food coloring
- Mix until the concoction is smooth in texture.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
This homemade slime recipe works perfectly and sticks to your hand when it is done well
2.How to make slime without contact solution and just using soap
Here’s another easy slime recipe without contact solution but just using dish soap or body wash
- Body wash, shampoo or conditioner
- Food coloring
- Utensil for mixing
- Warm water
- Add body wash to a bowl. Start with a small amount ( 2 tablespoons of shampoo). Add more if you want to make a bigger batch.
- Add drops of food coloring. Continue adding until you achieve the desired color.
- Mix both until the texture is smooth
- Pour cornstarch
- You will need about the same amount of cornstarch as the body wash.
- Mix ingredients well
When ingredients are mostly mixed, but you still have a floury consistency, pick up and mix together with your hands.
It may seem like you have added too much cornstarch. But don’t worry, just continue mixing with hands until you get the slimy texture.
Optional: Add water to make stretchy slime ( not too much)
Store slime in an airtight container for later usage.
Step 1: Add cornstarch and conditioner into the bowl.
Step 2: Mix ingredients until you are satisfied with the texture
step 3: add food coloring
Watch this 30-second clip on how to make slime without a contact solution (borax)
Edible Slimes Recipe:
1.Gummy bear easy slime recipe:
1 cup Gummy bears
3 Tablespoons Cornflour
food coloring (optional)
4 tablespoons icing sugar
2 Tablespoons icing sugar
- Put gummy bear in a bowl and add the cornflour
- Microwave for 30 seconds
- Take out from microwave and stir for 30 seconds
- Put back in the microwave for 1 minute and you can see bubbles appearing
- Put food coloring (optional)
- Knead in the icing sugar and let it cool
Be careful as the sugar can be very hot from the microwave
This gummy bear is very stretch but can be very sticky, you might need some icing sugar to stop it from sticking on your fingers.
2. Nutella Slime Recipe
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
4 Tablespoons Nutella
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups icing sugar
- Put the condensed milk, cornflour, and Nutella into a pan and stir it over high heat until it boils.
- Keep stirring over the heat for a minute
- Then move it to a heatproof bowl, cover the bowl and let it cool.
- Once it is cooled it will appear very sticky more than slimy.
- Knead some icing sugar to make it less sticky and it will appear like Nutella playdoh.
Easy Slime Recipe with activators besides borax slime:
The recipes above are simple slime recipes. However, there are also slimes made with activators. So let me now explain to you what an activator means.
What is activator for slime?
A Slime activator is a liquid that brings the glue together to form the Slime.
Different activators for slime:
This is banned in certain countries. Usually, this is added into a cup of water and there is your activator to give the slime a nice stretchy texture
2. Laundry Detergent
Liquid Laundry Detergent is also a slime activator. All you do is slowly add it in and your slime will form nicely.
3. Contact Lens Solution & Baking Soda
This is one of the most commonly used activator when making slime.
All you need to do is add baking soda to your glue mixture. Then squirty into a contact lense solution. Mix until your slime is formed
What’s the best slime activator?
Borax power seems to be the most favorite slime activator.
Mess-Free Glitter Slime Recipe with contact lens solution:
Here’s the easiest mess-free slime recipe that you will ever make
- 1/2 TBSP baking soda
- 1 1/2 TBSP contact lens solution
- 6 fl oz Glitter Glue
- Pour a 6 oz Glitter Glue into a bowl
- Add 1/2 TBSP baking soda to the glue and stir.
- Add 1 TBSP contact solution to the glue mixture.
- Mix with a spoon until slime begins to form and gets firm.You can also use your hands if it is becoming more difficult to stir.
- If slime is too sticky, add 1/4 TBSP contact solution to the mixture. The slime will become significantly less sticky.
Fluffy Slime recipe using glue:
This slime recipe works perfectly as long as you use the right glue. We suggest Elmer’s white glue. The best thing about this slime recipe is that it makes a perfect science experiment with your kids.
- 1 (4-ounce) bottle Elmer’s white school glue
- 2 Tablespoons contact saline solution (or liquid laundry detergent)
- 1 – 2 cups shaving cream
- Food coloring
- Place the cup of glue in a plastic bowl.
- Add drops of food coloring
- mix until combined.
- Then stir in 1-2 cups of shaving cream.
- The more you add the thicker it will be.
- Stir until it’s very thick and you can’t stir any longer.
It will be sticky at first, but keep moving it with your hands until it is no longer sticky and is the right consistency.
How do you make slime with just shampoo and salt?
Take shampoo and put as much as you want into a bowl. The amount of shampoo you put in will be the amount of slime you get.
Shake some salt into the shampoo. Put in few pinches at a time. Mix it well together. Keep on stirring until it becomes like gelatin.
If you want it less sticky add shampoo. If you want it very sticky keep adding salt.
Once you are done stirring and feel that the consistency is correct then leave it in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
How do you make slime with just flour?
Slime is not usually made with flour. By using flour you get more of a dough texture then slime.
However, you can try the recipe below to try to make slime with just flour.
- Add a cup of salt into a bowl
- Add a cup of flour into the same bowl
- Add water and mix it all with just your hands.
- Knead the dough until it is all sticking together.
Note : This is more of a dough texture than slime
Related : How to make homemade playdough
How do you make slime with crayons?
Crayons can be good in bringing some colors into your slime. Here is how you can use crayons to make slime :
- Remove all the wrappings of the crayon
- Shave the crayon using scissors
- In a bowl add glue, water, and baking soda and mix them well
- Add the crayon shavings
- Add saline solution
- Mix it all well until you get the right consistency.
Clear glue slime without borax recipe:
For this recipe, you need PVA glue. Follow the steps below to make clear glue slime without borax:
- Add 1/2 cup of PVA glue or clear glue
- Add 1 tbsp of baking powder
- Add 1 tbsp of saline solution
- Add 1/2 cup of warm water
- Add some glitter if you would like your slime to have some colors.
Related : How to make glue dry faster?
How do you make slime with toothpaste?
Follow the recipe below to make slime with toothpaste :
- Add tbsp of dish soap or hand soap into a mixing bowl
- Add 3 tbsp of toothpaste
- Add some salt into the bowl
- Mix it all together until you get the right consistency
- Keep it in the freezer for about an hour
Related : How to make moon sand recipe
What ingredient makes slime not sticky?
When making slime it can sometimes be too sticky. Here are some ingredients you can add to make slime less sticky :
- Baby oil
- Baking soda
- Contact saline solution
Benefits of playing with slime:
Kids of all ages enjoy playing with slime. It is a great sensory play and a fun DIY activity for the children.
The best thing about making slime is that it is a good indoor activity, especially on a rainy day.
Slime Safety Tips :
Slime is a fun experiment but there are ingredients where you do not want your kids to put in the mouth. Therefore when making slime take the necessary steps :
- Adult supervision
- Adults handle the chemicals
- Seek medical attention if any allergies present themselves after playing with slime
- Slime is not suitable for children below the age of 4
- Slime should not be placed in the mouth
- Wash hands after playing slime to avoid skin irritation
Before you go, don’t forget to check out the growth-mindset kit aimed at raising children growing in a tech world.