In this blog, I will show you how to make slime without borax. The recipe is super easy and fun too.
I love making homemade slime so my children can be involved in making and preparing it.
The slime recipes here mainly require only two ingredients and work perfectly.
The safe slime recipe below is that is made without borax and it sticks to the hand perfectly.
Now I will show you how to make slime without a contact solution. But first, let’s go through the household items you can use to make slime.
Ingredients used in making slime without borax:
Here are some common ingredients used in making slime without borax :
- White Elmer’s Glue.
- Baking Soda.
- Shaving Cream.
- Contact Lens Solution **Important: your brand of contact lens solution must have boric acid and sodium borate in the ingredient list. …
- Liquid Food Coloring to have different colors slime
Now let’s go through different very easy slime recipes.
How to make slime without borax?
1.Easy slime recipe using Shampoo & Shaving cream (without borax and activators) :
You can make a great fluffy slime using a few simple ingredients. This is a basic slime recipe.
- Shaving cream
- Mixing utensils
- Food coloring
- Mixing bowl
- Pour shampoo into a bowl. Start with a small amount ( 2 tablespoons of shampoo) . Add more if you want to make a bigger batch.
- Add shaving cream to the bowl. Approximately 1:1 mixture of shampoo and shaving cream.
- Stir ingredients together.
- Stir until the mixture is consistent in texture.
- Add salt. If you are going with the initial test of two tablespoons, you will want about a teaspoon of salt.
- Add drops of food coloring
- Mix until the concoction is smooth in texture.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
This homemade slime recipe works perfectly and sticks to your hand when it is done well
2.How to make slime without contact solution and just using soap
Here’s another easy slime recipe without contact solution but just using dish soap or body wash
- Body wash, shampoo or conditioner
- Food coloring
- Utensil for mixing
- Warm water
- Add body wash to a bowl. Start with a small amount ( 2 tablespoons of shampoo). Add more if you want to make a bigger batch.
- Add drops of food coloring. Continue adding until you achieve the desired color.
- Mix both until the texture is smooth
- Pour cornstarch
- You will need about the same amount of cornstarch as the body wash.
- Mix ingredients well
When ingredients are mostly mixed, but you still have a floury consistency, pick up and mix together with your hands.
It may seem like you have added too much cornstarch. But don’t worry, just continue mixing with hands until you get the slimy texture.
Optional: Add water to make stretchy slime ( not too much)
Store slime in an airtight container for later usage.
Step 1: Add cornstarch and conditioner into the bowl.
Step 2: Mix ingredients until you are satisfied with the texture
step 3: add food coloring
Watch this 30-second clip on how to make slime without a contact solution (borax)
Edible Slimes Recipe:
1.Gummy bear easy slime recipe:
1 cup Gummy bears
3 Tablespoons Cornflour
food coloring (optional)
4 tablespoons icing sugar
2 Tablespoons icing sugar
- Put gummy bear in a bowl and add the cornflour
- Microwave for 30 seconds
- Take out from microwave and stir for 30 seconds
- Put back in the microwave for 1 minute and you can see bubbles appearing
- Put food coloring (optional)
- Knead in the icing sugar and let it cool
Be careful as the sugar can be very hot from the microwave
This gummy bear is very stretch but can be very sticky, you might need some icing sugar to stop it from sticking on your fingers.
2. Nutella Slime Recipe
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
4 Tablespoons Nutella
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups icing sugar
- Put the condensed milk, cornflour, and Nutella into a pan and stir it over high heat until it boils.
- Keep stirring over the heat for a minute
- Then move it to a heatproof bowl, cover the bowl and let it cool.
- Once it is cooled it will appear very sticky more than slimy.
- Knead some icing sugar to make it less sticky and it will appear like Nutella playdoh.
Easy Slime Recipe with activators besides borax slime:
The recipes above are simple slime recipes. However, there are also slimes made with activators. So let me now explain to you what an activator means.
What is activator for slime?
A Slime activator is a liquid that brings the glue together to form the Slime.
Different activators for slime:
This is banned in certain countries. Usually, this is added into a cup of water and there is your activator to give the slime a nice stretchy texture
2. Laundry Detergent
Liquid Laundry Detergent is also a slime activator. All you do is slowly add it in and your slime will form nicely.
3. Contact Lens Solution & Baking Soda
This is one of the most commonly used activator when making slime.
All you need to do is add baking soda to your glue mixture. Then squirty into a contact lense solution. Mix until your slime is formed
What’s the best slime activator?
Borax power seems to be the most favorite slime activator.
Mess-Free Glitter Slime Recipe with contact lens solution:
Here’s the easiest mess-free slime recipe that you will ever make
- 1/2 TBSP baking soda
- 1 1/2 TBSP contact lens solution
- 6 fl oz Glitter Glue
- Pour a 6 oz Glitter Glue into a bowl
- Add 1/2 TBSP baking soda to the glue and stir.
- Add 1 TBSP contact solution to the glue mixture.
- Mix with a spoon until slime begins to form and gets firm.You can also use your hands if it is becoming more difficult to stir.
- If slime is too sticky, add 1/4 TBSP contact solution to the mixture. The slime will become significantly less sticky.
Fluffy Slime recipe using glue:
This slime recipe works perfectly as long as you use the right glue. We suggest Elmer’s white glue. The best thing about this slime recipe is that it makes a perfect science experiment with your kids.
- 1 (4-ounce) bottle Elmer’s white school glue
- 2 Tablespoons contact saline solution (or liquid laundry detergent)
- 1 – 2 cups shaving cream
- Food coloring
- Place the cup of glue in a plastic bowl.
- Add drops of food coloring
- mix until combined.
- Then stir in 1-2 cups of shaving cream.
- The more you add the thicker it will be.
- Stir until it’s very thick and you can’t stir any longer.
It will be sticky at first, but keep moving it with your hands until it is no longer sticky and is the right consistency.
How do you make slime with just shampoo and salt?
Take shampoo and put as much as you want into a bowl. The amount of shampoo you put in will be the amount of slime you get.
Shake some salt into the shampoo. Put in few pinches at a time. Mix it well together. Keep on stirring until it becomes like gelatin.
If you want it less sticky add shampoo. If you want it very sticky keep adding salt.
Once you are done stirring and feel that the consistency is correct then leave it in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
How do you make slime with just flour?
Slime is not usually made with flour. By using flour you get more of a dough texture then slime.
However, you can try the recipe below to try to make slime with just flour.
- Add a cup of salt into a bowl
- Add a cup of flour into the same bowl
- Add water and mix it all with just your hands.
- Knead the dough until it is all sticking together.
Note : This is more of a dough texture than slime
Related : How to make homemade playdough
How do you make slime with crayons?
Crayons can be good in bringing some colors into your slime. Here is how you can use crayons to make slime :
- Remove all the wrappings of the crayon
- Shave the crayon using scissors
- In a bowl add glue, water, and baking soda and mix them well
- Add the crayon shavings
- Add saline solution
- Mix it all well until you get the right consistency.
Clear glue slime without borax recipe:
For this recipe, you need PVA glue. Follow the steps below to make clear glue slime without borax:
- Add 1/2 cup of PVA glue or clear glue
- Add 1 tbsp of baking powder
- Add 1 tbsp of saline solution
- Add 1/2 cup of warm water
- Add some glitter if you would like your slime to have some colors.
Related : How to make glue dry faster?
How do you make slime with toothpaste?
Follow the recipe below to make slime with toothpaste :
- Add tbsp of dish soap or hand soap into a mixing bowl
- Add 3 tbsp of toothpaste
- Add some salt into the bowl
- Mix it all together until you get the right consistency
- Keep it in the freezer for about an hour
Related : How to make moon sand recipe
What ingredient makes slime not sticky?
When making slime it can sometimes be too sticky. Here are some ingredients you can add to make slime less sticky :
- Baby oil
- Baking soda
- Contact saline solution
Benefits of playing with slime:
Playing with slime has become increasingly popular among children and adults alike. It is not only a fun and engaging activity, but it also has several benefits for children’s cognitive and motor development. In this section, we will discuss some of the benefits of playing with slime.
- Sensory stimulation: Slime is a great sensory play activity that can help stimulate a child’s senses. The texture of slime provides a unique sensory experience that can help children develop their sense of touch and explore different sensations. Children can also use slime to develop their fine motor skills by squishing, stretching, and manipulating the slime with their hands.
- Stress relief: Slime can also be used as a stress-relief tool. The act of kneading and manipulating slime can help to reduce stress and anxiety. This is because it provides a calming and meditative effect that helps to relax the mind and body. The repetitive motion of playing with slime can also help to improve focus and concentration.
- Creativity and imagination: Slime can be a great tool for fostering creativity and imagination. Children can use their imaginations to come up with different ways to play with slime and create different textures and colors. They can also use slime to create different shapes and objects, encouraging their creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Science exploration: Making slime can be a fun science experiment for children. It involves combining different ingredients and observing how they react with each other to form the slime. This can help children develop their understanding of chemistry and the properties of different substances.
- Social interaction: Playing with slime can also encourage social interaction and communication skills. Children can play with slime together, sharing ideas and collaborating to create different textures and shapes. This can help to develop their social skills and build relationships with their peers.
Slime Safety Tips :
Slime-making is a fun and creative activity for children of all ages. However, it is important to remember that some of the ingredients used in making slime can be hazardous if not handled properly. Therefore, it is crucial to follow safety guidelines when making slime to avoid any potential harm.
The following safety tips can help ensure that slime-making remains a safe and enjoyable activity for everyone:
- Adult supervision: It is essential to have an adult present at all times during the slime-making process. The adult can help ensure that the children are using the ingredients correctly and not putting anything in their mouth. Additionally, the adult can monitor the activity and ensure that it remains safe and controlled.
- Use non-toxic ingredients: Some of the ingredients used in slime-making can be toxic if ingested or inhaled. Therefore, it is important to use non-toxic ingredients, such as food-grade materials, when making slime. This will help ensure that the slime is safe for children to play with and will not cause any harm.
- Protect the workspace: Slime-making can be messy, and the ingredients used can stain surfaces and clothing. Therefore, it is important to protect the workspace by covering it with newspaper or a plastic tablecloth. Additionally, children should wear aprons or old clothes to avoid getting slime on their clothing.
- Proper disposal: Once the slime-making activity is over, it is important to properly dispose of any unused ingredients or leftover slime. Ingredients such as borax or laundry detergent should be stored out of reach of children and pets. Additionally, any unused slime should be thrown away in the trash and not poured down the drain.
- Wash hands: After playing with slime, it is essential to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water. This will help remove any residue from the ingredients and prevent any skin irritation.
- Allergies: Some children may have allergies to certain ingredients used in slime-making, such as glue or food coloring. Therefore, it is important to check for any allergies before beginning the activity. If a child experiences an allergic reaction while playing with slime, seek medical attention immediately.
- Avoid eating slime: Slime should not be eaten, no matter how tempting it may look or smell. Some children may mistake slime for candy, which can lead to accidental ingestion. Therefore, it is important to remind children not to eat the slime and to keep it out of reach of pets.
Slime resources and videos on Youtube :
- “How to Make Fluffy Slime” by Karina Garcia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbgxk2A8_pk
- “DIY How To Make Clear Slime!!” by Gillian Bower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrO5sMqj3i4
- “How To Make Crunchy Slime” by Satisfactory ASMR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3lX_Aa-kc
- “Testing Popular No Borax Slime Recipes! How To Make Slime Without Borax” by JSH DIY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQ2DvBZXzg
- “DIY Rainbow Glitter Slime! How To Make The Ultimate Slime!” by SoCraftastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzS6bOuR7Z8
- “How to Make Galaxy Slime” by Marissa Rachel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEW5x5IVz1k
- “DIY Fluffy Slime WITHOUT GLUE!” by JSH DIY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udIawLp3u6k
- “Making Kinetic Sand 3-Storey Bed Toys for Hulk Elsa Anna Colours Mad Matter Collection Video” by Zic Zic Colors for Kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmGvZRTjxSY
- “How To Make Edible Slime Candy!!” by Wengie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZKoZ9kLdck
- “How to Make Slime with Tide Detergent” by Slime Masters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzWwYfYQ2OY
Before you go, don’t forget to check out the growth-mindset kit aimed at raising children growing in a tech world.