Do you fancy yourself as a pony pal or a horse lover? Then, why not test your horse knowledge with this epic horse trivia quiz? Get to know fun facts about horses and the many things that happen to them as they grow to adulthood. These horse quiz questions are designed to test you. But, more than that, they are designed to teach you.
You can use these horse trivia questions during your trivia night with friends or family. Animal trivia always ensures a galloping good time. Answers have also been provided, so dive right in. Good luck, and have fun!
Easy horse trivia questions and answers
- What are female horses called? Mares.
- What are young horses called? Foals.
- What is a Pony? A small breed of horse.
- What name is given to male horses? Stallions.
- What is another name given to wild horses? Feral horses.
- Sports that use horses as the main part are called…? Equestrian sports.
- How long does it take baby horses to start walking after birth? Within 2 hours.
- What is the rarest horse color? Pure White.
- Who is the most famous horse ever, and what was the horse’s age when it died? Secretariat, also known as Big Red, died at 19 years old.
- How much force can the hind leg of a horse deliver from a kick? 10,000 Newtons of Force.
- What was the world’s largest horse, and how much did it weigh? Sampson, weighing 3,360 pounds.
- What name is given to the seat that a rider uses when riding a horse? The Saddle.
- What term is given to a situation where a rider tames a wild horse? Breaking the horse.
- When a horse and a donkey mate, what name is given to the offspring? Mule.
- When does a horse stop being referred to as a foal? One year after its birth.
- How wide can a horse rotate its ears? Through 180 degrees.
- What name is a horse rider referred to as? Jockey.
- What are the four basic horse colors? Bay, Brown, Black, and Chestnut.
Famous horse trivia questions
- What was the oldest horse ever, and how long did it live? Old Billy, living 63 years.
- What was the tallest horse in the world, and what was the horse’s height? Big Jake, 6 feet and 10 inches.
- Which horse has won the most Grand National horse competitions in America? Red Rum won 3 times.
- What is the most popular horse riding school in the world? The Canterbury School in New Zealand.
- What horse is regarded as the greatest racehorse of all time? Man O’ War, which won 20 out of 21 horses.
- What is the title of the book (and the movie) that received rave reviews about a 15-year-old boy who tries to bring his horse home during World War 1? War Horse.
- What is the name of Man O’ War’s descendent, which also became one of the most famous racehorses? Seabiscuit.
- Who is the most famous horse whisperer of all time? Monty Roberts.
- What was the French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte’s last horse? Vizir.
- Who was the most famous horse in Hollywood? Trigger, with his owner Roy Rogers.
Horse quiz for beginners
- How many horse breeds are there in the United States? There are 41 horse breeds in the US.
- How long do our 4-legged friends typically live? 25 to 30 years.
- How many different breeds of horses can be found in Europe? More than 100.
- What are the hairs on the heads of these captivating creatures called? The Mane.
- How long does it take for a newborn horse to be born? 11 to 12 months.
- What causes horses to change to a different color? The changing seasons.
- Has an of these majestic animals lived as long as the average human years? No.
- How many teeth does a horse have? 44 Teeth.
- From which continent did horses originate? North America.
- What is the fastest recorded sprinting speed of a horse? 55 mph.
Related: Guitar trivia
Advanced horse quiz questions
- In terms of biological classification, what family do horses belong to? Equidae.
- Why are Arabian horses favored in horse competitions? They have remarkable endurance.
- What is the name of the book written by Anna Sewell that teaches kindness to horses? Black Beauty.
- What is the name given to a castrated male horse? A Gelding.
- How many horse breeds are there in the world? There are over 350 known horse breeds in the world today.
- What is the longest horse race in the world, and how long does it go? The Mongol Derby is an endurance test that lasts 621 miles.
- What movie stars Elizabeth Taylor as a 12-year-old horse superfan? National Velvet.
- What is the name of the famous painting featuring a liver bay horse standing in a pasture? Flora Temple.
- What horse race is held annually in May in Kentucky? The Kentucky Derby.
- What horse breed is known for commonly developing respiratory problems? Draft Horses.
Disney horse trivia questions
- Do real horses have horns? No, only mythical unicorns do.
- What is Mulan’s horse’s name, and what kind of horse is it? Khan, Ferghana horse.
- What is the name of Hercules’s horse? Pegasus.
- What makes Pegasus a special horse? It has wings.
- In Tangle, what is the name of Rapunzel’s horse? Maximus.
- What is the name of the horse in 101 Dalmatians? Captain.
- The horse named “Achilles” features in what Disney movie? The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- In Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3, Woody, one of the main characters, has a horse called…? Bullseye.
- In Cinderella, two characters are transformed into horses. What were their names? Jaq and Gus.
- In the movie Brave, what breed of horse is Angus? A Shire Horse.