Are you using an older version of Kodi on your Stick/Fire TV? Then, it is time to install the latest update. In this article, we will show you how to update Kodi on Firestick.
Updating Kodi on Firestick is not a daunting task. Instead, the process is easy. But you need to follow some steps carefully to update it successfully without any errors.
The first version of Kodi was released in 2004, known as the XMBC (Xbox Media Center). It is now known as Kodi.
The current version of Kodi for FireTV, is updated in September 2020 and it is called Kodi Leia 19.0.
Many people think that 17.6 Krypton is the latest version of Kodi, however, this is not true.
If you haven’t installed Kodi and are still confused about what it is used for then continue reading. We will also show you how to update Kodi on Firestick later in this article.
What can you watch on Kodi?
You can watch everything that you can think of on Kodi.
Install both official and third-party add-ons on Kodi for different types of content, such as TV shows, Movies, Live TV, Kids’ shows, Documentaries, Sports, and many more.
You just need to find the right add-on for the type of content you want to stream using Kodi.
Is Kodi legal?
Kodi is completely legal. You can download Kodi app from both Microsoft Store on Windows 10 and Google Play Store for an Android device.
These stores do not allow downloading any apps without thorough scrutiny. So, you can never get any illegal apps when downloading use the Play Store.
But you should keep in mind that Kodi uses third-party add-ons for streaming. And if you’re streaming copyrighted content, then it can be illegal.
How to use Kodi on Firestick?
Before you use Kodi on Firestick, connect ExpressVPN to your Firestick.
It is the best VPN and a secure VPN as it helps you bypass Online Surveillance, content geo-restrictions, and ISP throttling.
1. Start with ExpressVPN that comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
2. On your Stick/Fire TV, go to Find> Search option and type “Expressvpn“, and select ExpressVPN.
3. Click on “Download” to install the ExpressVPN.
4. Open the app, enter login credentials and click on “Sign in“.
5. Click the Power icon to connect to a VPN server, and you are done.
Related : How to install Mobdro on Firestick?
How to update Kodi on Firestick?
It is important to keep all apps updated for security reasons.
Also, apps are being updated regularly to give users a better experience.
By updating Kodi on Firestick you can enjoy the latest features and Add-ons seamlessly.
Follow the steps below to update Kodi on Firestick :
- Press the Home key until the new window appears, and then select Settings.
- Then move to the right side to select My Fire TV.
3. From there, scroll down and select Developer Options.
4.Here, you will find two more options, click on the Apps from Unknown Sources.
5. After clicking, you will get a warning message. Please ignore it and click on Turn on to enable it.
If you have the Downloader app, then ignore the downloading process and check on the updating process.
How to update Kodi on Firestick using Downloader:
- Close all the Apps on Firestick and hover to the menu above to search for Magnifying Glass icon.
2. You will see a virtual keyboard. Now using the navigation key, use Downloader.
3. After typing the name, a suggestion will appear below. From there, click on the First result.
4. After that, you will notice a list of apps; click on Downloader.
5. Click on Download to start downloading.
6. The app will start downloading and once the installation is done, click on Open for launching it.
7. It will ask for some permission, Allow
8 Now, a Quick Tour Guide notification will appear, just click on Got it to ignore it.
9. Now, you will see a lightbox; hover to it and press the select button to launch the keyboard.
10. After this, by using the virtual keyboard, type https://firesticklab.com/kodi.apk and then click on the Go button
11. Once the app starts connecting to the server, you will notice the download starts automatically.
12. Wait for a few seconds until the Kodi is downloaded, and then an installation Window will appear.
13. Click on the Install button and wait.
14. After installation, don’t open it, instead of click on Done.
15. Now, you will see the Downloader app with three options; click on Delete.
16. Confirm it by selecting the Delete button again
17. The app backup is deleted, but the official app is installed.
18. Open Kodi and check the version to know whether it is updated or not.
Launch it, and you will see the latest version on the first Welcome opening page.
How to update Kodi on Firestick using file explorer?
Although Downloader is a reliable source, you would like to reconsider your options if you have a subscription to File Explorer.
Follow the steps below to update Kodi on Firestick using File explorer:
1. Power-On your Firestick.
2. Go to Settings and then My Fire TV.
3. Click on Developer Options.
4. Allow Apps to install from Unknown sources by clicking on “Apps from Unknown Sources.”
5. Visit the Home page of your Firestick and click on the “Search” icon.
6. Type “ES File Explorer” in the search bar and click on the app icon when the results appear.
7. Follow the instructions carefully to install “ES File Explorer” on your Firestick.
8. Launch the app after it is installed.
9. Go to the section on the right-hand side, where you will see several icons. Click on the “Downloader” icon.
10. Click on +New at the bottom.
11. When a popup will appear, enter https://howtofirestick.com/kodi.apk in the Path section and name it that way you like.
12. Click on “Download Now” and download the app.
13. Click on “Open File” and then “Install” when prompted.
15. Click on “Install” one more time.
You have successfully updated Kodi on Firestick using the ES File Explorer app.
How to update Kodi on Firestick using Appstarter?
If the two methods above do not work you can try using Appstarter to update Kodi on Firestick
For this method, too, you will need to allow the Apps to install from Unknown Sources.
Then turn off Collect App Usage Data and install the “Downloader” app.
Follow the steps below to update Kodi on Firestick using Appstarter:
- Run the “Downloader.”
2. Click on the URL box (http://)
3. A popup will appear in the next window. Enter https://howtofirestick.com/as4.apk and then click on “GO.”
4. Once the AppStarter has downloaded, click on “Install” option.
5. Run the AppStarter once it is installed successfully.
6. The first thing to do is go to “Updates” in the menu located on the left side of the screen. Click on “Install” on the right side, where it says Kodi.
How to update Kodi on an Android device?
Kodi is officially available on the Google Play Store.
So, if you want to update it on an Android device, open the Google Play Store, search for it and pen it.
If there is any new update available, the “Update” button will be highlighted. Click on it and start updating.
How to know which Kodi version am I using?
Knowing whether you are using the new version or not is easy.
Just click on Firestick Setting, and from there, go to System Info and then Version info.
From there, you can see the version that you are using. If you are using the latest version of Kodi, you can easily find it.
How to update kodi add-ons?
In order to update an add-on, you need to open the “Add-on” tab and then click on the search bar.
Here, you should enter the add-on name, and after that, Kodi will show you the listing.
Once done, open it, and it will offer you the update button if there is any update available.
Undoubtedly, Kodi is one of the most famous media players that offer various free streaming services using Add-ons.
Keep all apps on your device updated to keep it secure.
This article has provided different methods to update the latest version of Kodi on any of your devices.
Remember to use a VPN when using 3rd-party apps. Although the Kodi app is legal, the Add-ons that you install can contain some illegal content. So, to be on the safe side, use a VPN.
Do you have any more doubts regarding updating Kodi on Firestick? If you do leave us a comment below.