When the long days of summer roll around, kids (and parents!) are itching for some much-needed fun and relaxation. School’s out, the sun is shining, and the promise of adventures beckons. It’s time to create your ultimate summer bucket list!
From outdoor adventures and beach outings to craft projects and cozy movie nights, there’s no better time to enjoy the simple joys of family, friendship, and fun than during the summer season.
Whether you’re looking for exciting ways to keep your kids entertained or seeking a perfect opportunity for some adult-friendly activities, we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we’re going to provide you with a fabulous ‘Summer Bucket List for Kids’ (and adults too!) that will surely make your summer break the most memorable one yet. This list includes 25 unique ideas for each category: Friends, Family, Teens, Adults, and Crafts – guaranteeing that every day is a new adventure!
So grab your pen, round up your family and friends, and get ready to explore, learn, and create unforgettable memories.
Let’s dive into the world of endless summer fun! Let’s all embrace the sunshine, fresh food from the farmer’s market, the thrill of new experiences, and the warmth of shared moments. We’ll also include a free printable summer bucket list for you to add your own ideas and tick off completed ones!
Remember, the best part of a bucket list is not just ticking off what’s on the list but the experiences, laughs, and stories that come with each activity. Happy planning, and here’s to the best summer yet!
Summer Bucket List with Friends
- Plan a Beach Day: Soak up the sun, build sandcastles, and cool off in the waves. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Host a Backyard Movie Night: Create your own outdoor cinema experience. All you need is a projector, a white sheet, some comfy chairs, and your favorite films.
- Start a Lemonade Stand: An old classic! Get your friends together, make some refreshing lemonade, and sell it in your local neighborhood.
4. Organize a Scavenger Hunt: Put together a list of fun, challenging items to find or tasks to complete, then let the search begin!
5. Make Homemade Ice Cream: There’s no better way to beat the summer heat. Choose your favorite flavors and enjoy your homemade treat.
6. Plan a Road Trip: Explore new places and make incredible memories with your friends. Don’t forget to prepare a fun playlist for the journey!
7. Have a Picnic in the Park: Pack some delicious sandwiches, fruits, and snacks, grab a blanket, and enjoy a meal in the great outdoors.
8. Try Geo-caching: It’s a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game. All you need is a GPS device or a smartphone.
9. Plant a Garden: It could be flowers, vegetables, or herbs. It’s a fun, rewarding activity, and you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
10. Make a Time Capsule: Collect items that represent this summer, then bury it to be opened in the future.
11. Paint Rocks: Get creative and paint rocks with colorful designs or positive messages. Then, leave them in public places for others to find.
12. Create a Summer Playlist: Fill it with the hottest summer tunes and share it with each other.
13. Have a DIY Photoshoot: Dress up, find a great location, and strike a pose!
14. Organize a Charity Event: Whether it’s a fun run, a bake sale, or a car wash, it’s a great way to have fun and give back to the community.
15. Visit a Farmer’s Market: Enjoy the fresh, local produce, and maybe even find some new foods to try!
16. Plan a Bicycle Race: Choose a route, set a start and finish line, and see who is the fastest. Always remember to wear a helmet!
17. Host a Themed Dinner Party: Choose a theme, like Hawaiian or 80s, and have everyone dress up, bring themed food, and enjoy a night of laughter.
18. Try Out a New Water Sport: Whether it’s paddleboarding, kayaking, or surfing, it’s a fun way to stay cool in the summer.
19. Have a Game Night: Board games, video games, card games, whichever you prefer!
20. Go for a Nature Hike: Explore local trails, enjoy the beauty of nature, and maybe even spot some wildlife.
21. Have a Water Balloon Fight: Fill up some balloons and let the games begin! It’s a fun way to stay cool on a hot day.
22. Organize a Neighborhood Clean-Up: It’s a great way to have fun with friends while helping to keep your community clean.
23. Write and Perform a Play: Choose a story, assign roles, and put on a show! You can even make your own costumes and props.
Family Summer Bucket List
Here’s some fun family summer bucket list ideas that everyone will enjoy. The ideas below are quite easy but may need some planning, especially if going for road trips and camping.
- Take a Road Trip: Explore the open road, visit a new town or park, and create lasting memories along the way.
- Visit a Local Zoo: Spend a day seeing and learning about different animals from around the world.
- Have a Family Picnic: Pack your favorite meals and snacks, find a local park, and enjoy quality time with the whole family.
- Go Camping: Plan a backyard campout, complete with ghost stories and stargazing.
5. Create a Family Cookbook: Compile your favorite family recipes into one book. It’s a great way to pass down family favorites.
6. Have a Game Night: From board games to video games, a family game night is a perfect way to bond and have some friendly competition.
7. DIY Craft Day: Spend a day getting creative with paint, clay, beads, or any other materials you have at home.
8. Visit a Farmer’s Market: Spend a day sampling fresh, local food and purchase ingredients to cook a family meal.
9. Watch Fireworks: Enjoy the beauty of a fireworks display during a Fourth of July celebration or other summer event.
10. Plan a Day at the Water Park: Spend a day splashing in the water, sliding down water slides, and having fun in the sun.
11. Have a Movie Marathon: Watch a series of movies or your family’s favorite films back-to-back with popcorn and comfy pillows.
12. Try Your Hand at Pottery: Join a pottery class and get your hands dirty. It’s a therapeutic activity that leaves you and your family with a beautiful product.
13. Take a Hike in a National Park: Experience the beauty of nature while getting some exercise. Don’t forget to bring a picnic!
14. Plant a Family Garden: Choose your favorite fruits, vegetables, or flowers and spend the summer caring for your garden.
15. Have a Beach Day: Build sandcastles, play beach games, and cool off in the sea.
16. Cook a Meal from a Different Culture: Choose a country and cook a traditional meal together. It’s a great way to learn about different cultures.
17. Take a Family Bike Ride: Explore local bike trails or just enjoy a leisurely ride around the neighborhood.
18. Have a DIY Photoshoot: Dress up, find a fun location, and have a family photoshoot.
19. Go Star Gazing: Spend a night under the stars, identifying constellations and enjoying the quiet.
20. Have a Home Spa Day: Make homemade face masks, paint each other’s nails, and enjoy a day of relaxation.
21. Have a Yard Sale: Spend a day decluttering and make some extra cash.
22. Go Fishing: Spend a day at a local lake or river. You can teach the kids how to fish, and maybe even cook what you catch!
23. Volunteer Together: Choose a local charity and spend a day helping others.
24. Create a Family Summer Scrapbook: Collect photos, ticket stubs, and other mementos from the summer to create a keepsake of your family’s adventures.
25. Practice growth mindset using personalised growth mindset kit
Teen Summer Bucket List
- Start a DIY Project: Use this summer to create something amazing. It could be anything from building a bookshelf to creating your own clothes.
- Read a Classic Novel: Choose a classic that you’ve always wanted to read but never got around to. You’ll expand your knowledge and reading list!
- Go on a Hike: Discover local trails and enjoy some quality time with nature.
- Start a Fitness Challenge: Set a goal and commit to it. It could be running a certain distance or mastering a complex yoga pose.
5. Create a Short Film: Use your smartphone or digital camera to make a mini-movie. Write the script, cast your friends, and start filming!
6. Volunteer at a Local Shelter: Help your community by spending time volunteering at a local animal shelter or food bank.
7. Host a Barbecue Party: Invite your friends over for a fun summer BBQ party. You can cook, play games, and have a great time.
8. Take a Road Trip with Friends: Plan a fun journey to a nearby city or national park. Don’t forget your playlist!
9. Attend a Summer Camp: Learn new skills, make friends, and have unforgettable experiences at a summer camp.
10. Write a Song: Unleash your inner songwriter and write a song. If you play an instrument, even better!
11. Try a New Sport: Step out of your comfort zone and try a new sport. Who knows? You might find your new passion.
12. Start a bullet journal: Write down your thoughts, ideas, dreams, and experiences. It’s therapeutic and a great way to document your summer.
13. Plant a Tree: Do something good for Mother Nature. Plant a tree and watch it grow.
14. Try a New Craft: Whether it’s knitting, pottery, or painting, crafting is a great way to relax and express your creativity.
15. Learn a Magic Trick: Impress your friends with a cool magic trick. There are plenty of tutorials online.
16. Join a Book Club: Discover new books, share thoughts, and have interesting discussions.
17. Go to a Concert: Experience the thrill of live music. Check out local bands or see if there are any summer music festivals in your area.
18. Create a Vision Board: Visualize your dreams and goals with a vision board. It’s a fun and inspiring activity.
19. Do a Photoshoot with Friends: Plan a fun photoshoot with your friends. Choose a theme, outfits, and location, then click away!
20. Start a Blog or Vlog: Share your interests or summer adventures with the world.
21. Have a Picnic: Enjoy a meal outdoors. Pack your favorite foods, bring a blanket, and relax in the sun.
22. Visit an Amusement Park: Experience the thrill of roller coasters and other rides. Spend a day at a local amusement park or water park.
23. Have a Garage Sale: Clear out your old stuff and make some money. It’s a win-win!
24. Take a Day Trip to a Nearby Town: Explore a new place. Visit local attractions, try local food, and enjoy a change of scenery.
Online summer ideas for teens and adults
- Online Art Class: Websites like Skillshare offer classes in drawing, painting, digital art, and more. Visit Skillshare
- Start a Blog: Share your thoughts, ideas, or hobbies. WordPress is a great platform for beginners. Start with WordPress
- Online Coding Course: Codecademy offers free courses where you can learn to code. Check out Codecademy
- Virtual Tour of a Museum: Visit some of the world’s most famous museums from your living room. The Louvre, Smithsonian, and the British Museum all offer online tours. Virtual Louvre
- Watch a TED Talk: Learn something new by watching a TED Talk. There’s a talk on nearly every subject you can think of. Watch TED Talks
- Create a YouTube Channel: Share your talent, your thoughts, or your humor with the world. Start a YouTube Channel
- Online Cooking Class: Websites like MasterClass offer online cooking classes with renowned chefs. Join MasterClass
- Virtual Volunteer Work: Many organizations offer opportunities to volunteer online. Volunteer with UN
- Join a Book Club: Many libraries and bookstores offer online book clubs. If not, start your own with friends.
- Write a Short Story or Novel: Websites like Wattpad let you share your stories with others. Start writing on Wattpad
- Learn a New Language: Websites like Duolingo offer free language lessons. Learn with Duolingo
- Online Fitness Challenge: Websites like Darebee offer free workout plans and challenges. Start a challenge on Darebee
- Create an e-book: Use Chat-GPT to start generating some ideas and design your e-book on Canva
- Online Yoga Class: Websites like DoYogaWithMe offer free yoga classes. Start Yoga with DoYogaWithMe
- Start a Podcast: Share stories, thoughts, or interviews. You can start for free on websites like Anchor. Start a Podcast with Anchor
- Virtual Star Gazing: Websites like Stellarium offer free online planetarium. Visit Stellarium
- Online Chess Tournament: Websites like Chess.com offer the chance to play against others around the world. Play chess on Chess.com
- Learn Magic Tricks: Websites like YouTube have countless magic trick tutorials for free.
- Take a Virtual College Tour: Many universities offer virtual tours of their campus.
- Online Photography Course: Websites like Coursera offer free photography courses. Start learning on Coursera
- Watch a Live Zoo or Aquarium Webcam: Many zoos and aquariums offer free webcams. San Diego Zoo Live Cams
- Learn Calligraphy: Websites like Skillshare offer courses in calligraphy. Start learning on Skillshare
- Virtual Escape Room: Many businesses offer online versions of their escape rooms.
- Join an Online Trivia Night: Websites like Sporcle offer online trivia nights. Join a Trivia Night on Sporcle
- Start a Virtual Band: Websites like Soundtrap let you collaborate with others to make music online. Start creating on Soundtrap
Summer Fun for Adults
- Plan a Weekend Getaway: Whether it’s a beach, a cabin in the woods, or a city you’ve never visited, plan a little escape for a weekend of relaxation.
- Try a New Type of Cuisine: Step out of your comfort zone and try a new type of cuisine at a local restaurant or make it at home.
- Go to a Live Music Festival: Experience the magic of live music at a local music festival or concert.
- Start a Home Improvement Project: Use this summer to make those home improvements you’ve been thinking about. Whether it’s painting a room or creating a garden, the end result will be so satisfying.
- Organize a Neighborhood Block Party: Bring your community closer together with a fun summer block party.
- Take a Cooking Class: Improve your cooking skills or try something new in the kitchen with a cooking class.
- Learn a New Language: Take the first step towards learning a new language using online platforms or apps like Duolingo.
- Start a Book Club: Get your friends together for a monthly book club. Choose different genres and share your thoughts.
- Plan a Wine Tasting Tour: Visit local vineyards, taste different wines, and learn about the wine-making process.
- Go to a Yoga Retreat: Experience a weekend of relaxation and self-care at a yoga retreat.
- Create Your Own Cocktail: Experiment with different flavors and create your own signature cocktail.
- Try a New Outdoor Activity: Be it hiking, paddle boarding, or mountain biking, summer is the perfect time to get outdoors and active.
- Have a Romantic Date Night Under the Stars: Plan a romantic evening outdoors with your loved one. Don’t forget the candlelight!
- Go on a Thrift Store Shopping Spree: Spend a day visiting local thrift stores and find some unique treasures.
- Go for a Hot Air Balloon Ride: Experience the thrill of flying in a hot air balloon. It’s a memorable summer adventure!
- Go Camping: Disconnect from technology and reconnect with nature. Camping is a great way to relax and appreciate the simpler things in life.
- Join a Dance Class: Whether it’s salsa, tango, or zumba, joining a dance class is a fun way to keep active during the summer months.
- Plan a Picnic with Friends: Gather your friends for a relaxed picnic at a local park or beach.
- Visit a Farmers Market: Support local farmers and get fresh produce. Try new fruits and vegetables and create meals around them.
- Plant a Herb Garden: Start a small herb garden at home. Not only does it add greenery, but it also gives you fresh herbs for your cooking.
- Attend a Cooking Workshop: Learn to make a new dish or improve your cooking skills with a workshop.
- Go Stargazing: Spend a night under the stars. It’s the perfect summer activity to relax and appreciate the beauty of the universe.
- Have a BBQ Party: Invite your friends and family over for a fun BBQ party. Good food and good company, what could be better?
- Visit a National Park: Explore the beauty of nature by visiting a national park. Take in the breathtaking views and enjoy some outdoor activities.
Check out the book below to help your kids unplug this summer
Craft Summer Ideas
Here’s a list of craft summer bucket list ideas that are fun and easy to do.
- Make Homemade Soap: Try your hand at soap making. You can experiment with different scents and colors.
- Create a Photo Collage: Gather your favorite photos and create a beautiful collage. It’s a great way to keep your memories in one place.
- Start a Scrapbook: Document your summer adventures in a scrapbook. Include pictures, tickets, and notes about your favorite experiences.
- Tie-Dye Shirts: Brighten up your wardrobe with some homemade tie-dye shirts. It’s a fun and easy craft for all ages.
- Make a Bird Feeder: Use natural materials to make a bird feeder. It’s a great way to attract birds to your garden and give them a helping hand.
- Create Your Own Jewelry: Use beads, string, or wire to make your own unique jewelry.
- Paint a Canvas: Let your creativity flow and paint a canvas. It can be an abstract design, a landscape, or anything else that inspires you.
- Create a Summer Wreath: Welcome summer into your home with a beautiful, handmade wreath.
- Try Origami: Learn the ancient art of paper folding. You can make everything from flowers to animals with just a piece of paper.
- Sew a Tote Bag: Create your own tote bag. Not only will you have a new bag, but you’ll also gain a new skill.
- Make Homemade Candles: Choose your favorite scent and color and make your own candles. They make great gifts too!
- Create a Memory Jar: Write down your favorite summer memories and put them in a jar. It’s a great way to reflect on the highlights of your summer.
- Make a Wind Chime: Use shells, beads, or even old keys to make a unique wind chime.
- Make Your Own Stationery: Use stamps, stencils, and colors to create your own stationery. It’ll make writing letters even more special.
- Build a Fairy Garden: Create a magical fairy garden in a flowerpot or a corner of your garden.
- Start a DIY Project: From creating your own bookshelf to making a wall hanging, the possibilities are endless.
- Make a Dreamcatcher: Create your own dreamcatcher to catch your bad dreams and allow the good ones to pass through.
- Create Your Own Bookmark: Make reading even more fun with a personalized bookmark.
- Make a Sensory Bin: Fill a bin with different materials like rice, beans, and small toys. It’s a great activity for younger children.
- Knit or Crochet a Scarf: Start knitting or crocheting your own scarf. By the time winter rolls around, you’ll have a new accessory.
- Make a Flower Press: Preserve the beauty of summer flowers by creating your own flower press.
- Create a Handmade Card: Make your own cards for any occasion. It adds a personal touch that anyone would appreciate.
- Build a Terrarium: Create a mini garden in a glass container. It’s a great way to bring a bit of nature indoors.
- Make Your Own Slime: Experiment with different colors and add-ins to make your own slime. It’s a fun and satisfying craft for all ages.
25. Paint Rocks: Spend an afternoon painting and decorating rocks. It’s a relaxing and fun activity that can also brighten up your garden.
We hope you enjoyed the summer bucket list ideas for 2023 above. Let us know how you got on during the summer break in the comment section below.